Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Updated controller firmware but second partition is still on old version

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Updated controller firmware but second partition is still on old version

Posted Jul 07, 2020 07:51 PM

I recently updated my mobility master and controller cluster to firmware version 8.5.0.9.  When I run "Show image version" on the controllers it shows only the Default boot partition has been updated. But if I go back to re-run the update on the other partition, I get thwarted because the update procedure says I'm already updated to that version.

What is the proper procedure for updating the other partition?

Thanks for any assistance, 

Bill

• 2.  RE: Updated controller firmware but second partition is still on old version
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2020 08:07 PM

The controller will only run on the boot partition, so no need to update the second partition.  The second partition is typically a "fallback" partition, so if you want to downgrade, you can just switch the boot partition and reboot.

• 3.  RE: Updated controller firmware but second partition is still on old version

Posted Jul 07, 2020 08:31 PM

Thanks for the reply CJoseph.  Does that mean the other partition will remain at that version until next time I update when the current version will become the new fallback?

Thanks,

Bill

• 4.  RE: Updated controller firmware but second partition is still on old version

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2020 08:45 PM

When you update, only the partition that you select when you update is updated.  That partition is selected as the boot partition when the update is finished expanding.  When you reboot, it will select that partition to EDIT run.  The other one will not change unless you update it manually.