Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition

Posted May 31, 2015 08:25 PM

Hello,

I am hoping the community can help is settle a disagreement about ArubaOS upgrades.  My approach has always been to upgrade the standby partition, change the boot to point to the upgraded partition and reboot the controller.  (In this particular case it is a 650 controller, but of course it could apply to others as well.)

There are some others I work with who want to keep partition 0 active from one upgrade to another.  I have doubts about this approach.  It seems to me that attempting to upgrade the active memory partition could have memory conflicts.  What if a running Aruba OS attempts to fetch a portion of the OS from partition 0 while the upgrade process is running on partition 0?  Perhaps there would be other problems as well?  (By the way I did ask the Aruba TAC about this problem, and the particular TAC Engineer did recommend upgrading the standby partition but the the people I work with are not will to take accept my repeating what the TAC said.)  Is there a official Aruba document available to the public that recommends upgrading the standby partition?

Regards,

David

• 2.  RE: Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2015 08:32 PM
    There is no recommendarion about which partition to upgrade. I would say upgrade the opposite partition so that you can switch back to the previous version easily. There is nothing wrong with upgrading the running partition, however. Once a controller is running, the contents of the running partition do not matter.

• 3.  RE: Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition

Posted May 31, 2015 09:38 PM

I would not have expected that.  The Aruba OS loads from the memory partition into RAM, and then never has to access the partition again until the controller is rebooted?    (Different from MS Windows?)

• 4.  RE: Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition

Posted Jun 01, 2015 06:23 AM

Hi Friend,

Yes you are right. OS will be loaded in to RAM from the default system partition when ever we  boot the Controller. where as windows OS is very big in size and will have number of modules hence only a module which is required handle task will be loaded into RAM thus they are little slow compared to Controllers, Switches and any other networking devices.

Therefore as Colin said, we can upgrade the OS in any of the partition but recommended is partition 1( backup) because we want we can revert back to the older version.

Hope got some clarity on this. please feel free fi you need more clarity on this.

• 5.  RE: Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition

Posted Jun 02, 2015 12:48 AM

Colin and Venu,

OK, that helps.  I was drawing an anology to windows I was not sure applied.  Yes, either way it is good to upgrade the not active partition so it is easy to revert back.

Regards,

David

• 6.  RE: Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2015 08:54 PM
    It is NOT windows....

• 7.  RE: Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition

Posted Jun 07, 2015 10:22 PM

Thanks.  Perhaps comparing ArubaOS to Windows is an unflattering comparison, but I did not mean to give offense.  (I did not major in CS and am largely self taught.)    With a Windows system you can see the HDD light flickering to show activity even when there is no apparent need for an application to access the disk.  Another thing you can do on a Windows system is pull up the performance tab on the task manager to look at memory activity.  I do not know how to do similar things on an ArubaOS box so could not tell if a similar thing was happening.  If there are similar commands under the ArubaOS or under Airwave I would certainly be interested to learn about them. 

• 8.  RE: Upgrade ArubaOS for active partition

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2015 10:29 PM

The best way to understand how ArubaOS works is to get some formal training http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/training-services/