Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade Questions

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Upgrade Questions

Posted Jul 15, 2014 05:54 AM

Hi Folks, I have some questions regarding the upgrade procedure for our Aruba Wireless Controllers.

We operate a very simple setup. A pair of Aruba6000 chassis with a single M3 controller in each operating as a Master and Master Standby with VRRP-based redundancy and all access points terminating on the Master (i.e. we do not operate separate local controllers).

We are using control plane security (with auto cert provisioning enabled) as we require bridge mode in some areas.

We're running a mixture of AP-95, AP-95H, AP-105, AP-135 and AP-175 access points.

We're intending to upgrade from ArubaOS 6.1.3.6 to ArubaOS 6.3.1.8.

To attempt to minimise the number and time of wireless network outages I'm planning on upgrading the standby controller first, then upgrading the master controller. At which point the access points should fail over to the standby which is already running the newer code. Hence the access points should connect to the standby controller, upgrade themselves and return to operation.

My first question is: Is this a valid upgrade scenario? Are there any gotchas?

My second question refers to the downgrade procedure should we need to revert for any reason. The 6.3.1.8 release notes mention disabling control plane security before downgrading. However, as mentioned, we use bridging at the access point for some of our WLANs, and this feature is not available unless control plane security is enabled. Is it an absolute requirement to disable control plane security to be disabled before a downgrade? And is it safe to re-enable control plane security after the downgrade? I'll be taking pre-upgrade and post-upgrade flash backups so there won't be a problem with switching between the configs for different versions.

Best Regards,

Martin

• 2.  RE: Upgrade Questions
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2014 06:08 AM

mvb,

I would wait for 6.3.1.9, if you can.

You can actually upgrade both controllers at the same time, if you like.  Upgrading one at a time allows you to be in full control of what is happening and go through it step-by-step.  Your upgrade methodology is a valid scenario.  If you take a backup flash, that should allow you switch partitions, restore flash, and go back where you were if anything does not seem right.

When you upgrade, log into the controller that is the current master and keep running "show ap database-summary" to keep an eye on how many access points are upgrading and what is their status.  You can also do "show ap database long" to see a list of APs that are in your system and their status.

6.3.1.8 mentions disabling control plane security while you are on 6.3.1.8, because on a straight downgrade it causes issues.  If you:

- Disable control plane security while on 6.3.1.8

- restore flash

-switch partitions back to the one running 6.1.x

...upon reboot, the config from the restore will replace the one that you disabled control plane security in, and control plane security will be on, just like in your backup.

You are doing all of the right things.

• 3.  RE: Upgrade Questions

Posted Jul 15, 2014 07:06 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks very much for the response.  Very useful.

Are there any specific reasons that cause you to recommend skipping 6.3.1.8 and waiting for 6.3.1.9?  I'm under pressure to upgrade to fix a few issues that we've been seeing on 6.1.x code, but if there are particular issues with 6.3.1.8 then I may be able to push back and delay the change.

Regards,

Martin

• 4.  RE: Upgrade Questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2014 07:17 AM

What issues are you upgrading to fix? 

• 5.  RE: Upgrade Questions

Posted Jul 15, 2014 08:28 AM

There are mainly issues around random AP disconnects and improvements to IPv6 support and visibility.

Regards,

Martin.

• 6.  RE: Upgrade Questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2014 09:19 AM
    Okay. It is only that 6.3.1.9 is so close to release, is all. When is your planned upgrade?

• 7.  RE: Upgrade Questions

Posted Jul 15, 2014 09:52 AM

The change would go before the Change Advisory Board next week (w/c 21st July 2014) which would mean I'd be looking to implement w/c 28th July 2014.

Regards,

Martin

• 8.  RE: Upgrade Questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2014 10:01 AM

It is targeting release before your install date.  It should not be long.

• 9.  RE: Upgrade Questions

Posted Jul 15, 2014 10:50 AM

Ok, thanks for the information Colin,  I'll amend my plans accordingly.

Regards,

Martin

• 10.  RE: Upgrade Questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2014 08:07 PM

Martin,

6.3.1.9 just got released today.  The folder (Login Required) with the code and release notes is here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/DownloadSoftware/tabid/75/DMXModule/510/EntryId/14563/Default.aspx