Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading a single controller for testing of new OS in multi-controller environment.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Upgrading a single controller for testing of new OS in multi-controller environment.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2012 12:25 PM

Hi,

Have a customer with a multi-controller environment and we need to do an upgrade in response to a couple of bugs that we uncovered.

The customer is very nervous about the whole thing and wants to upgrade only one site and let it run independantly for some time to test and make sure everything is ok, before doing the rest.

We have control-plane-security enabled and I was wondering if there are any adverse affects of reconnecting that local to the master a few days later after we upgrade the rest?

Unfortunately, it's looking like they will want each local site to be done on different days.

So if a local is disconnected from it's master for an extended period, what other implications are there?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Upgrading a single controller for testing of new OS in multi-controller environment.

Posted Aug 27, 2012 01:36 PM

I don't believe there are any implications other than the updated locals may not receive any changes from the master.

I guess it really depends on how often your customer makes changes to their environment.  I ran several locals on 6.1.x while my master was on 5.0.3.3 and didn't have any problems.  Those sites have operated without any issues for 9+ months - of course I don't have many reasons to make changes to my production environment.

• 3.  RE: Upgrading a single controller for testing of new OS in multi-controller environment.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2012 10:41 AM

ok, that's fine.  But what happens if an AP reboots?  It will contact the Master first and then need to upgrade it's image and then when it goes to the local controller, it will need to then downgrade.

Will that result in some sort of perpetual loop that it can't get out of?

Does the masterip really need to be a master controller, or can it be another local controller that is running the same version?

It looks like I'll have the master and one local upgraded first and then the other two locals a week later.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Upgrading a single controller for testing of new OS in multi-controller environment.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2012 02:07 PM

If you configure the DHCP option 43 and 60 to point to the upgraded server, the AP will contact the ip address of the controller in the DHCP option, which does not need to be the master.