Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading from 3.3.3.3 to 5.0.3.3 Across Routed links

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Upgrading from 3.3.3.3 to 5.0.3.3 Across Routed links

Posted Nov 23, 2011 07:51 AM

We have a situation where we have a 3600 controller at the Data Center and a number of APs at remote sites that run on a WAN through routed networks. We have never had a problem upgrading the APs until we went to 5.0.3.3. After the controller was upgraded, the APs would start to upgrade and after they rebooted to load the code the would never come back to the controller. We have no problem doing this across  a switched backbone. After several rounds of testing and packet captures we noticed that the in the routed environment after the AP rebooted it would try to start PAPI conversation with the controller but the controller never responds. We tried to upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 with the same results. Aruba seemed to do something betewwn these tow versions but they are dragging their feet coming up with a solution. Has anyone run into this problem. I know 3.3. is not supported but I don't want to drag controllers to all of our rmote sites to fix this.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading from 3.3.3.3 to 5.0.3.3 Across Routed links

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2011 08:05 AM

If these are remote aps, make sure that in the ap-group of those access points, the ap system profile does not have an lms-ip.

• 3.  RE: Upgrading from 3.3.3.3 to 5.0.3.3 Across Routed links

Posted Nov 23, 2011 10:28 AM

The Aps at these sites ar campus AP65, AP70, AP105. I don't know if you were assuming they were RAPs

• 4.  RE: Upgrading from 3.3.3.3 to 5.0.3.3 Across Routed links

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2011 10:21 PM

I did assume that they were RAPs.  Now I understand that they are Campus APs.  The big questions is, what do you use for discovery at those remote sites?  Do you use dns (aruba-master)?  If yes, is the correct domain being supplied in the DHCP suffix by the DHCP server?  Open your DHCP server and see if your correct domain name is being supplied at those remote sites.

To be conclusive, you may hav to use a Y-console cable to connect one of those APs at the remote site and stop those APs at the apboot> prompt and then type "dhcp" to see if the correct domain comes back.  

• 5.  RE: Upgrading from 3.3.3.3 to 5.0.3.3 Across Routed links

Posted Nov 23, 2011 09:40 AM

Do the APs have static IP addresses?  If so, is spanning-tree port-fast enabled on the switch ports where the APs connect?  There was a change in a timeout value that was put in place around 5.0.3.  It only waited 10 seconds for an AP to find it's master.  If port-fast was disabled, it took longer than 10 seconds for the port to go active and the AP would reboot before it ever got connectivity.

The way to resolve this issue is to enable port-fast on the AP ports.

The timeout value was changed back to 60 seconds in newer revisions of ArubaOS.