Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

User authentication in syslog

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  User authentication in syslog

Posted Mar 28, 2014 02:32 PM

I cannot get user authentication information to go to my syslog server so Palo alto can parse the logs for the username/IP.  I've tried multiple settings for the controller for logging.  Under what category/subcategory do I use to get the information?  What logging level? 

current effort:

User category / dot1x & radius subcategory with logging level informational for both.

Under the logging servers area, I have category User with severity informational.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: User authentication in syslog

• 3.  RE: User authentication in syslog

Posted Jan 15, 2015 12:22 PM

Hi Colin,

Do you have the syslog export filter from the controller on how you got those specific message only.  I'm interested in passing username to ip mappings to palo.  Unfortunately I am still running AOS 6.3.1.13 so I do not have the 6.4 integration.  

Thanks,

Alfredo

• 4.  RE: User authentication in syslog

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2015 12:30 PM

You would do this:

config t
    logging level notifications user process authmgr 
    logging <ip address of PAN devices>

To be clear, I have not tried to see if the output works on PAN with this method.

You can see the output by typing "show log user 50"

• 5.  RE: User authentication in syslog

Posted Jan 18, 2015 05:48 PM

Thanks for the help Colin!  Worked like a charm.  I had the controllers pass the syslog messages over to our main syslog server and then trigger forward only the required entries with prper usernames.  We've have one heck of a battle trying to pass uid's correctly from cppm to palo.  The xml api didnt work as well as we thought for our environment.  This method I must say is probably the cleanest implementation to pass uid's over to the pan agent.  Thanks again!