Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

User field in show ap database long

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  User field in show ap database long

Posted Aug 12, 2014 10:06 AM

I did a show ap databse long and got the fields below. One that caught my eye was the user field. We couldn definitely make use of this field but I cann determine if it is a dynamic or static field. I checked the CLI refernce giuude for 6.2 and there is no mention of it. We are running 6.2.1.7. 

Is the field static? If so, how can I change it?

Name     Group        AP Type  IP Address      Status              Flags  Wired MAC Address  Serial #   Port  FQLN  Outer IP        User

Thanks

• 2.  RE: User field in show ap database long

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2014 10:08 AM
    What data are you looking for? I believe this field is used for RAPs

• 3.  RE: User field in show ap database long

Posted Aug 12, 2014 10:13 AM

I am hoping to be able to populate it with the user name of the RAP. I can assign a description but that field does not appear in the ap database.

The use case is to find a RAP by user name. We number the RAP sequentially and we have a spreadheet with the name of the end user and the RAP name. It would be valable to do a "show ap databse | include username" when trying to troubleshoot the RAP of a specific user.

• 4.  RE: User field in show ap database long

Posted Aug 12, 2014 10:15 AM

Allow to phrase that better, I would like th populate the user field with the user name of the RAP user, not the RAP itself.

i.e. RAP-045 might be used by johnnykilo. Id like to be able to search on the term johnnykilo and find the RAP.

• 5.  RE: User field in show ap database long

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2014 10:17 AM
    The fields cannot be customized.

• 6.  RE: User field in show ap database long

Posted Aug 12, 2014 10:48 AM

So how does the user field get populated? It is blank in my case.  Output below.

Untitled.png

• 7.  RE: User field in show ap database long

Posted Aug 25, 2014 02:06 AM

did you provision the RAPs with users? or did you do it certificate based?

• 8.  RE: User field in show ap database long
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2014 08:08 AM

@johnnykilo wrote:

So how does the user field get populated? It is blank in my case.  Output below.

Untitled.png

Johnnykilo,

That field was used for RAP authorization, where you can make a user with a RAP "authorize" that they are a legitimate user before the RAP can be used deployed using Zero touch provisioning.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/Advanced_Configuration_O1.htm

After the user "authorizes" the RAP, the username of user who authorized the RAP would appear in the list above.

With the of ease of deployment of Aruba Activate and IAPs as RAPs, this method (zero touch provisining) is used much less.

Like cappalli says, the username is not configurable, so you would not be able to populate it outside of the process above.

• 9.  RE: User field in show ap database long

Posted Aug 26, 2014 11:25 AM

Perfect, thanks. I am just learning about the RAP authentication methods, makes sesnse now.