Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Using Aruba to protect another vendor WLAN

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Using Aruba to protect another vendor WLAN

Posted Jun 10, 2013 02:58 PM

Does anyone here ever tried this? My customer has a Cisco network only to provide access. 

They want to use Aruba APs only to protect their Cisco network. 

• 2.  RE: Using Aruba to protect another vendor WLAN

Posted Jun 10, 2013 05:31 PM

do you mean like using WIPS WIDS capcibilities for it?

Guess you can deploy it, and put Cisco APS as valid APs... and put all the Aruba APs as air monitors.. and configure the IDS IPS... i guess it can be done but never tried it.

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: Using Aruba to protect another vendor WLAN

Posted Jun 11, 2013 07:16 AM

Hi Carlos,

Thats exactly what they want. But do you believe we will protect from everything or some functions won't work properly?

• 4.  RE: Using Aruba to protect another vendor WLAN

Posted Jun 11, 2013 06:58 PM

I guess it can work but i never tested it, as i never had this kind of deployment...

Ask your reseller for a demo of it...

• 5.  RE: Using Aruba to protect another vendor WLAN

Posted Jul 12, 2013 05:19 PM

We deployed another vendor's WLAN and have been using Aruba WIPS to defend it for some time.

We are now replacing the other vendor's gear with iAP...

We installed 5 access-points at each store and one WIPS in the middle to detect intruders.

We had to tell the controller not to classify our WLAN as rogue, thereafter the WIPS have done an excellent job of detecting and alerting.  We didn't install a high enough density to be effective at containment, but they work for that when the rogue is close enough.

If I was going to do it over, I'd just go with Aruba. If that weren't an option, I'd have put out more WIPS to better protect the WLAN.