Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Using an IAP 105 as a mesh point

Hi everyone,

this is the first time I am working with this kind of hardware and this forum has helped me greatly setting it all up.
But now I have run into a problem that I found no fix to:
I am trying to establish a mesh network with a 3200 controller, an AP 175 as mesh portal and an AP 105 (it seems to be an IAP 105 since it has a reset button) as a mesh point.
The AP 175 is working great. But IAP 105 is giving me a hard time.
Since I can only access these devices via the web UI, I have hooked up the IAP 105 to the controller to configure it to act as a mesh point.

But when I detach the unit to place it at its desired location, it just initializes and restarts after some time. It keeps doing this without end.
Reattaching it to the controller produces the same result most of the times and only a reset helps.
Is there something that I overlook? Is it even possible to use an IAP 105 as a mesh point?
Thank you very much in advance
Jan

Super Contributor II

Re: Using an IAP 105 as a mesh point

Hi!

This should be able to work just fine. The IAP need to be converted to a controller based AP so you´ll be configuring this from the controller-UI only, not the instant web ui.

Make sure you have the 175 up and running provisioned as a Mesh portal. Also make sure that the subnet where the 175 is taking it´s IP-address from has DHCP enabled and address space available (this is where the mesh point will get its IP address from).

Provision the AP-105 as a mesh point and make sure the AP-groups they are both in have the same mesh configuration profiles. Also make sure they both have a radio profile allowing the channels you wish to use.

When I´m doing mesh configurations I usually make sure it works on my desk first so you don´t have to go through the hassle of mounting on a remote place just to find out the mesh is incorrectly configured.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Christoffer Jacobsson | Aranya AB
Aruba Partner Ambassador
Aruba: ACMX #537 ACCP ACDP | CWNP: CWNE #306

Thank you very much for the fast reply.

The 175 is running as a mesh portal and so far it seems to work fine.

How can I access the controller-UI?
The only information I was given, was how to reach the web-UI. The AP 175 was allready mounted and wired with the controller. The only hardware I was given is the IAP 105, a patch kabel and a PoE switch. The only other option I have so far is to plug the IAP 105 unit to a patch kabel that is directly connected with the controller.

I wish I could just do everything at my desk, but since I am just an intern working at a small table with just a laptop and the mentionend hardware, sadly, this is not an option.
Thanks again in advance.
Jan

Super Contributor II

Hi!

Well if you´re running "controller based" and not "instant" the web-UI is the controller UI. You´re logging into the Aruba controller to configure your APs, not the APs themselves. Is that a correct assumption or is the AP-175 also running instant?

Cheers,

Aruba Partner Ambassador

Hi,
I use a web-browser and an IP-address and then log in via a user and password interface from aruba networks. This leads me to a side saying: mobility controller, which allows me to monitor and configure the SSIDs, APs, AP-groups, safty and the likes.

Up until now I have allways used the guides for the web-UI and they worked out, so I thought this to be the web-UI.

I do not know whether the AP 175 is an instant or not. As far as I can tell it was set up with the help of the controller.
Within the interface I can go to a submenu called AP installation that allows me to provision the APs. I used this submenu to configure the AP 175 as a mesh portal and the AP 105 (when it has a direct patch kabel connection to the controller) as a mesh point. But as soon as I disconnect the 105 from this direct connection and just provide it with a PoE switch hoping it would access the wireless network with the AP 175, it goes into this initializing-restarting-loop.

Up until now I have just unplugged it from the controller. Is there a special way to disconnect it?
Thanks again.
Jan

Highlighted
Super Contributor II

Ok, that´s the correct way of working with the controller via the web-UI :)

Are they in the same AP-group? That way you know then have the same RF and mesh settings.

Does the AP-175 sit connected to a subnet which gives out IP-addresses via DHCP?

Cheers,

Aruba Partner Ambassador

Yes they are in the same AP-Group.
I am not sure it does. I have had my troubles with the DHCP Server, since all I found up until now was a guide for the instant UI.
How can I tell whether it is connected to one? And if not how do I set this up/where can I find a guide for the web UI for it?
Can I find it in the ArubaOS manual?
Thank you so much for your help
Jan

Guru Elite

Connect a console cable to the AP-105 and see if there are any mesh join messages printed on the console.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars

How exactly do I use the console port? Do I need some special software to use it? The installation guide for the IAP 105 just says: "Use the console port to connect to a terminal for direct local management.". What is this refered terminal? As I mentioned earlier I only have a laptop to configure the network, so can this be used as a terminal? What kind of a cable is the console cable?

While looking at the process logs of the controller I noticed that the AP 105 causes these messages when plugged directly into the controller:

nanny| Reboot Reason: No reboot message found.
sapd| AP could not boot from flash -- bad checksum
sapd| Rebooting: SAPD: Reboot after successful image upgrade

And for as long as the AP then stays plugged in to the controller it works great.

Thank you for your time and help.

Jan

Guru Elite

Let's start from scratch:

- What version of ArubaOS is this?

- What is your regulatory domain?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: