Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VIA - Connection Profile Preemption High-Availability?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VIA - Connection Profile Preemption High-Availability?

Posted May 14, 2014 04:55 PM

I have two standalone master controllers that are geographically separated for redundancy and both have PEF for VIA enabled.  They are not clustered or VRRP'd in any way...completely standalone, each serving its own users. They are redundant for RAPs and VIA only. 

For Site A I have the VIA connection profile configured so that Site A is primary and Site B is secondary. If you were to inspect the VIA client connection profile for users at Site A you'd see 2 entries (VIA Connection Profile_0/Site A, and VIA Connection profile_1/SiteB).

My question is, if the controller or Internet goes does at either location, is there a way to set up the VIA client to auomatically fail over to the connection at the other site?  Through all of my testing it appears that this is a manual process, i.e. user would have to go into the VIA Client/Settings Tab, click the drop-down menu for the connection profile and select the other site, then click Connect.  I'd like to know if it is possible for some sort of preemption to be enabled on the VIA client, so that when the primary site is unreachable it automatically failes to the backup.  When the primary returns the client would re-establish with it and leave the backup.  I have this configured for all of my RAP's, but wasn't sure if VIA can do the same thing. 

• 2.  RE: VIA - Connection Profile Preemption High-Availability?

Posted May 19, 2014 10:55 PM

I'm no VIA expert, but I read through the VIA VRD and 6.3 User Guide and see no mention of failover for VIA.  So I suspect this is not possible.  Maybe bumping this topic will get someone else with some VIA experience to chime in.

• 3.  RE: VIA - Connection Profile Preemption High-Availability?

Posted May 20, 2014 12:48 PM

Thanks for the reply buddy. I actually found the following in one of the design manuals:

"If multiple controllers are added to the VIA Controller list of the VIA connection profile, the user can manually select a different controller to establish a secure connection if the primary controller becomes unavailable.

NOTE: VIA 2.1 clients will automatically switch to a backup controller and do not require the user to manually select the backup controller when the primary controller is unavailable.  If more than one VIA controller is available and if the "enable controllers load balancing" feature of the VIA connection profile is enabled, VIA 2.1 for windows provides load balancing by randomly selecting a controller as the primary controller during each connection attempt.  By default, all other versions of VIA clients will select the controller at the top of the VIA Controller list (available in the VIA connection profile) as the primary controller."

I'm using VIA 2.1, but have yet to have it fail over dynamically this section references in the NOTE.  You can manually choose the controller without issue, but the end game for me is dynamic.  

• 4.  RE: VIA - Connection Profile Preemption High-Availability?

Posted May 20, 2014 04:50 PM
    Great find! Too bad it's not working as advertised. What document and page
    did you find this info?

• 5.  RE: VIA - Connection Profile Preemption High-Availability?
    Best Answer

Posted May 20, 2014 05:10 PM

• 6.  RE: VIA - Connection Profile Preemption High-Availability?

Posted May 20, 2014 08:37 PM
    Cool! Thanks man.