Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VIA client and Windows Firewall

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Apr 30, 2014 08:20 AM

When I connect my domain laptop from home to our company network through VIA, I can see there's 2 active NICs in Windows.

1: the real NIC, that's connected to my home network. This is classified as a Public net work in Windows.

2: the VIA NIC, connected to my company network. This is classified as a Domain network in Windows.

Now, I take a look at the firewall settings. Firewall is enabled, for both Domain networks and for Public networks. Other PC's on the company network are unable to ping my laptop, because of the firewall.

If I disable the Windows firewall for both Domain networks and Public networks, they are able to ping my laptop. However, this is not secure. I don't want other devices on my home network to be able to connect to my laptop, I only want other devices on the company network to be able to connect to it.

So, I disable the Windows firewall for Domain networks, but enable it for Public networks. Problem: company PC's are unable to ping my laptop now. They can only ping it when Windows firewall is disabled for Public networks as well.

Does anyone know how I can make this work the way I want it to? It would seem to me the Ping is tunneled throught the encrypted VIA connection to my laptop. So how would the firewall for the Public home connection be able to filter this? It's strange, isn't it?

• 2.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2014 12:22 AM

I am not sure if this can be done.  Do you have split-tunneling enabled on your VIA client?

• 3.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 02, 2014 12:32 AM

No, everything is tunneled through the controller now. Could using split-tunnel fix it?

I was also hoping using a different subnet might help. I'm using 255.255.255.255 now, maybe using 255.255.255.0 would make it 'understand' traffic coming from the company network is the same domain subnet and shouldn't be filtered by the non-domain firewall? Doesn't hurt to try I guess.

• 4.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 02, 2014 05:04 AM

I've tried 255.255.255.0 and it doesn't make a difference.

Funny thing:

I created an inbound firewall rule that allows ALL traffic. For all interfaces, sources, all ports, etc. etc. However, I can still not ping the machine.

When I disable the firewall, I can ping it. But with firewall enabled, I can not ping it. Even though there's a rule that explicitly allows ALL traffic. What the hell? :)

It seems that the VIA connection confuses the windows firewall to the point of it not letting through any incoming connections, no matter what rules are set.

I'm going to try on Windows 7.... maybe this is a Windows 8.1 problem.

Edit: Windows 7 = same result.

• 5.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 06, 2014 02:20 AM
    So my conclusion is that VIA breaks firewall behaviour in Windows.

Even if you create an ALLOW ALL rule in the firewall, it still blocks all incoming connections from the VIA connection.

Only if you disable the firewall, it allows incoming traffic from VIA.

• 6.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2014 05:50 AM

• 7.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 06, 2014 05:55 AM
    Thanks, but this article is not correct (anymore).

Because Windows 7 and Windows 8 actually DO recognize the VIA connection as a Domain connection instead of a public connection.

Also, creating the ALLOW ALL rule in both the public AND domain profile still make incoming connections impossible.

• 8.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2014 06:01 AM

You are right.  That is an old article.  Maybe Microsoft would have a clue what is happening here.

• 9.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 06, 2014 06:05 AM

Another way to make incoming connections work with firewall enabled is by setting 'inbound connections that do not match a rule are allowed' for the public profile. This basically means the same as turning the firewall off though :)

• 10.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2014 07:12 AM

eriknl2,

What is the operating system of your Windows computer?

• 11.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 06, 2014 08:56 AM
    I tested on Windows 7 and on Windows 8.1 update 1.

• 12.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2014 09:19 AM

ErikNl,

Are these domain computers?  Is it possible to try with a non-domain computer?

• 13.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 06, 2014 09:48 AM
    these are domain computers (I made sure there were no group policies applied to them).

I'll give it a go on a non-domain computer and let you know the result.

• 14.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 07, 2014 03:12 AM

You are correct. This issue only appears on a domain joined computer.

On a non-domain computer, it works as expected.

Now I hope that you know a fix for this :)

I read online that when using multiple network adapters (like with VIA), that the windows firewall choses the most strict firewall profile to apply to the adapter, which would mean the public profile. I created an ALLOW ALL rule, for ALL profiles (including public), but that does not fix it.

• 15.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 08, 2014 02:22 AM
    Will you let me know if you learn anything about a fix for domain-computers?

• 16.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2014 07:24 AM

Yes, we will.

• 17.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2014 07:56 AM

Where did you see that article on multiple adapters?

• 18.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 08, 2014 08:05 AM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/getting-started-wfas-firewall-profiles-ipsec(v=ws.10).aspx

"If there are multiple network adapters connected to different networks, then the profile with the most restrictive profile settings is applied to all adapters on the computer. The public profile is considered to be the most restrictive, followed by the private profile; the domain profile is considered to be the least restrictive."

• 19.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 27, 2014 07:41 AM
    Still hoping on a fix for this issue :)

• 20.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Jun 16, 2014 06:38 AM
    Should I open a case with support for this, cjoseph, or is this something you're already bringing to their attention?

• 21.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2014 08:16 AM
    Eriknl2,

You should open a case. They know about the issue but anyone that is affected by this should open a case, so they can get more information.

• 22.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 09, 2014 10:18 AM

I am having the exact same problem. Is there any fix to this? I cannot remote manage any domain joined computers when they are on VIA, even if I allow all to all security profiles.

Really need a fix for this.

• 23.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 10, 2014 03:08 PM

Opend a support case with Aruba and we were able to find a microsoft patch that fixed the issue.

Just in case others might run into this.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2964643

I installed the patch and now I dont see windows firewall dropping packets, even when there is an allow all rule for inbound.

• 24.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 10, 2014 06:27 PM

The issue will fix if the below patch is installed (It worked fine in widows 7)

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2964643/en-us

• 25.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 13, 2014 02:17 AM

Interesting. Will try. Thanks.

• 26.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 14, 2014 08:03 AM

Never mind, the patch did not fix anything. This issue seems to be random. I rebooted two times in a row and it seemed to work on my laptop. Today, the fiirewall is blocking traffic along with two other laptops I pushed the patch to on Friday.

Really need Aruba to fix this. No reason they cannot set this up in a lab and see for themselves that the Windows firewall does not apply any rules to the VIA interface.

• 27.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2014 08:06 AM
    Bmarrs2014,

Please open a TAC case and reference this thread. You could have an issue that is specific to your setup.

• 28.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 14, 2014 08:08 AM
    Haven't tried it yet, but the description for the Microsoft-page does not really match the symptoms I'm seeing.

I don't think it's very setup-specific. It seems to be any domain joined Win7/Win8 computer combined with VIA makes the firewall unusable...

• 29.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2014 08:14 AM
    Eriknl2,

Then please try it. If it does not work, we then need to re-investigate.

• 30.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 14, 2014 08:22 AM

The article only applies to win7 and win2008r2. We're using Win8.1 now. I'll try and see if it installs anyway.

Edit: Nope, won't install.

• 31.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2014 08:37 AM
    That specific patch might not apply to you, then.

• 32.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 14, 2014 08:39 AM

So, it's not the issue, then :) Nor the fix.

So VIA + domain computer still means broken firewall.

• 33.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Oct 14, 2014 09:31 AM

Already have a TAC case opened for this and so far just wasted time. I was hesitant about the patch, but TAC said it was referenced in other cases around this and I applied it.

The first couple of times it works, but after that nothing. 

I reopened my case, but not holding my breath for a resolution to this.

• 34.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 20, 2015 05:01 PM

Did anyone ever identify a resolution for this?

• 35.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted May 21, 2015 02:16 AM

Not me.

• 36.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Jun 15, 2015 10:52 AM

Aruba found a temp workaround for this but not a long term solution.  When the VIA software is installed, it installs an "Aruba VIA Driver" on the wireless and wired NICs which can be found in the properties.  Support claims that when this is checked, the tunnel is operating in L2TP mode.  When it's unchecked, it's operating in PPP.  RDP as wells as ping and other management tools work when this box is unchecked because the Windows Firewall is identified in GP under a different set of rules. 

The problem is that Aruba doesn't have any suggestions on how to apply this globally other than to create a script or do each one manually.  It's not something that can be applied in GPO nor is it an option in any of their latest releases to push out.  The only other thing we could think of was the registry, but Aruba Support isn't familiar with where the registry change would be made for something like that.  Any other thoughts on this?

• 37.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Feb 24, 2016 02:46 AM

FYI: we're using version 2.3.1.0.77153 and, when active, Windows Firewall says the computer is connected to the domain (like it should). And it applies the firewall rules just fine (firewall disabled for domain, enabled for public) and I am able to connect to a VIA-connected-computer from HQ. So it seems to work fine now.

• 38.  RE: VIA client and Windows Firewall

Posted Feb 24, 2016 10:25 AM

is correct.  The new 2.3.0 version was supposed to permanently resolve this but has a know bug regarding DNS. 

We are having to update everyone with 2.3.1 which permanently puts everyone in PPP mode and has fixed the DNS issue as well.