Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2015 05:12 PM
    If VIA is installed (I've tried versions 2.1.1.1 to 2.1.1.8) my Surface Pro 3 will get hung when performing a restart until finally crashing to a blue screen. Uninstall VIA and everything works fine once again. Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2015 09:03 PM
    There is a known issue in the driver on surface devices. Please do not use at this time.

• 3.  RE: VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 25, 2015 10:18 AM

If this is a known issue, why isn't it listed as such within the release notes?

Any idea when the issue will be resolved?

• 4.  RE: VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2015 02:04 PM

I do not have an answer to either question, but I will post on this thread if (1) a fix comes out or (2) an advisory comes out.  For now, please do not use on the surface.

• 5.  RE: VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2015 08:17 AM
    It seems that the problem is due to a driver incompatibility issue. Upgrading to the Surface Pro firmware of October 2014 or later seems to fix the issue. http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history.

If that does not work, you can:
    - Uncheck "Aruba VIA driver" from the Network Adapter properties. After this, VIA still works in PPP mode and end-user will not see any difference.
    - Switch off InstaGo mode in the Device settings. (Some anti-virus and firewall applications automatically do this on install)

Please let us know whether or not any if these fixes your issue. If they do not, please open a TAC case and PM me the case number.

• 6.  RE: VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2015 09:54 AM

I've got the June 23rd update installed currently and still having the issue. I'll check on the other options when I get a chance. Thanks!

• 7.  RE: VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2015 11:23 AM

VIA 2.3 along with Windows 10 appears to fix the issue.

• 8.  RE: VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

Posted Sep 12, 2016 04:32 PM

9/12/2016

Is this still an issue?

Currently running 2.3.3.0 via using surface pro3 on windows 10

The first time the via launches it just sits and spins like it's trying to authenticate. I never actually see it try to authenticate on radius server event viewer.

If I close the via program and then restart it the via connects up just fine.  

I've tried taking it out of windows startup and made sure that the pc was connected to wifi before launching the via program for the first time but that did not help.

Have to ALWAYS open it once....let it spin.... close it and then reopen.

Thoughts?

• 9.  RE: VIA client on Surface Pro 3 causes crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:07 AM

I've not seen the original issue since they introduced the new version that actually supports Windows 10.

I have seen machines that had Windows 10 system update apply and the VIA client no longer works properly.  In those cases the fix was to remove the VIA client and reinstall.