Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN POOL

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  VLAN POOL

Posted Oct 03, 2014 07:53 PM

Hi Team,

I have a network with 15000 IP address, we are configured wireless Aruba network with captive portal and with a VLAN pool. In this VLAN pool I created 10 VLAN with /24 mask. I want to prevent broadcast traffic on the network. For an University its preferable use the hash mode or the event mode and why? Also which are the problems derivated of this configurations.

This deployment would work fine on Infoblox, someone was have an experience with this?

And which recommendations you will give me for this issues.

Regards,

• 2.  RE: VLAN POOL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2014 07:55 PM

You are better off doing larger networks than using VLAN pooling. /22 /21 /20 /19 etc.

When you enable broadcast/multicast filtering, these subnet sizes work great.

• 3.  RE: VLAN POOL

Posted Oct 03, 2014 08:09 PM

If I delete the Broadcast Traffic, this impacts with any device on the network or service?

• 4.  RE: VLAN POOL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2014 08:25 PM

In most networks, no, but you will need to enable AirGroup on the controller for layer 2 discovery to continue to work (PlayTo, Chromecast, AirPlay, AirPrint, etc).

Do you use a multicast TV service on your network?

• 5.  RE: VLAN POOL

Posted Oct 03, 2014 08:31 PM

No.

In my case are 15,000 IPS. What if I configure vlans with mask / 19 in a VLAN POOL. This would not be recommended? Since future I can have up to 30,000 IPS.

Currently the client has a VLAN with 06 segments (MASK / 22) and has many problems.

• 6.  RE: VLAN POOL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2014 08:34 PM

Yes, you could do multiple /19's in combination with enabling drop broadcast/multicast. You should see an immediate increase in performance after enabling drop bc/mc.

Also, you may want to enable bc/mc optimization on the controller uplinks.

• 7.  RE: VLAN POOL

Posted Oct 03, 2014 08:52 PM

For a large scheme as many IP addresses. We recommend using HASH or EVENT ?. What are the benefits and drawbacks

• 8.  RE: VLAN POOL