Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  VLAN query

Posted Oct 30, 2013 07:03 AM

Hi all, I'm a bit weak on VLANs but here gos. We have on our office mobility switch, two cables going into it, both are on Native/Untagged VLANS. One is for our remote sites (they use local breakout as well), one is the local office.

I need to add another VLAN for another SSID, but this will be Tagged/Trunked. Can I select an existing port on the switch and add a tagged vlan to it? Thanks.

• 2.  RE: VLAN query
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 30, 2013 07:13 AM

You can certainly add a tagged VLAN to an existing port; however you need to make sure the configuration is sert on both the controller and the connected switch to support the additional VLAN.

Example configuration for an Aruba port.   You'll need to setup the mirror configuration on your switch to support the VLANs tagging/untagging.

interface gigabitethernet 1/X
      description "GE1/X"
      trusted
      trusted vlan 1-4094
      switchport mode trunk
      switchport trunk native vlan X

switchport trunk allowed vlan Y,Z

The native vlan above is untagged.

• 3.  RE: VLAN query

Posted Oct 30, 2013 07:16 AM

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Do I need to connect an additional cat5 cable?

• 4.  RE: VLAN query

Posted Oct 30, 2013 07:31 AM

You do not "have" to.   You have three options for what you are asking.

1) setup one of the existing configured ports on the controller as a trunk port (see previous post).  This requires the switch to be setup the same way (will vary depending on switch vendor)

2) setup a new VLAN that is internal to the controller only; configure src-nat for the VLAN so that all traffic is NAT'd out to the LAN

3) add additional CAT5/wired port for the new VLAN

• 5.  RE: VLAN query

Posted Oct 30, 2013 07:35 AM

I think its option 1 at the moment. The guy who does our VLANS/WANS is out this week. I have been sent the details. I have setup the VLAN onto an existing port (2). This is setup with our office network at present but unused, I will use this to test it.

Was the the effect of changing a port from Access to Trunked? Is that for GUI access?

I am just doing a new VAP and SSID which is mapped to my new VLAN. I will then attach the VAP to my office APs to test I am getting the new SSID and its going into the correct network. Hope that sort of makes sense.

• 6.  RE: VLAN query

Posted Oct 30, 2013 09:52 AM

I did it!!!

Thanks for your help :)