Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VLANs and Port-Channels

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  VLANs and Port-Channels

Posted Sep 12, 2013 10:25 AM

Hi

I'm looking for some answers to this scenario

Via the GUI, I created a new vlan on my Aruba 6000 controller, gave it a tag and the allowed the vlan on our Port-Channel.

This completely killed my access to the controller. I had to connect via console and reboot it to remove the running configuration.

Before I did this I tried to establish what had actually happened.

I noticed an entry within the port-channel configuration. It had added my new vlan as an access mode vlan. The port channel is configured for trunk mode. Is this where my problem occured?

Before rebooting I removed those specific configuration manually but I still was unable to gain access. I reverted to rebooting without saving which repaired the damage.

Can anyone clarify this for me please.

Many Thanks

Ian

• 2.  RE: VLANs and Port-Channels

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2013 10:40 AM

Port-Channels, when created are automatically untrusted, which can certainly break connectivity.  Right after it is created, make sure it is marked trusted.

• 3.  RE: VLANs and Port-Channels

Posted Sep 12, 2013 11:26 AM

Depending on the version of code, there was a bug in the WebUI that showed the "trusted" check box as unchecked in the port-channel pages.  If you made a change such as adding a VLAN to it from the WebUI, it would then interpret your "Apply" to include the unchecked trusted box....marking it now untrusted; and breadking communication.  To confirm this happened in your case, go into your port-channel from the WebUI and see if the port is marked trusted or not.  If it is not marked trusted in the webui, it is likely marked trusted in the CLI:  show interface port-channel <id>.

• 4.  RE: VLANs and Port-Channels

Posted Sep 12, 2013 11:35 AM

That is indeed what looks likely to have happened. Are you aware which version of code this was reolved in?

Thanks

Ian

• 5.  RE: VLANs and Port-Channels

Posted Sep 12, 2013 12:53 PM

I am not, and to be honest, I don't think I ever saw it mentioned in any release notes.   What version are you on today?

Until you upgrade and confirm the proper checkmark, make all future port-channel changes from the CLI; which is what I tell all my customers anyways.