Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VM-Mobility Master and Backup

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  VM-Mobility Master and Backup

Posted Jul 06, 2018 01:07 PM

Hello, 

I purchased & licensed one vm MM and is currently in production.  I just found out that Aruba offers a 30-day free-backup solution.  All I need to do is bring another vm host with the MM image and put it on the same broadcast domain.  The instructions are very easy; basically doing a cluster.    

One of the steps is to create a vrrp - let's say I have the following:

MM x.x.x.10 (Production) 

Backup MM x.x.x.11 (future backup - 30 days to bring up my master in case of a failure) 

vrrp x.x.x.12  (Pending) 

Now, here comes my question:

I already have 4 controllers in production pointing to x.x.x.10 (MM), if I implement the backup solition creating a vrrp - do I need to repoint the 4 controllers to the vrrp?  

I think yes, but I wanted to double check because I am new to ArubaOS.  

Thank you in advance.    

Cheers! 

• 2.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 06, 2018 01:28 PM
    Yes, you connect the mobility controllers based on the vrrp address to the mobility
    Masters.

The mobility master redundancy shared the same license. There is no additional cost for the second mobility master. Its free at all to do this.

• 3.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 06, 2018 01:30 PM
    You should point it to the VRRP VIP, one thing you could do is use the .10 as your VIP and that way the change would only need to be done on the MMs side without having to reboot your MCs and APs

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 4.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup

Posted Jul 06, 2018 02:04 PM

Thank you, Fabian that's a great idea.  If you don't mind I would like to ask a follow-up question that I just realized.  

If I re-ip my MM and make the vrrp ip to x.x.x.10 (as you suggested) do I need to add all of the IP's to ClearPass "under devcies" as well? since CP is doing the 802.1x authentication.  Keep in mind that x.x.x.10 is already there.   

Thank you again!!! 

• 5.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup

Posted Jul 06, 2018 02:22 PM
    You should change it so the RADIUS request are coming from the MCs instead of the MM but first add the MCs MGMT IPs in ClearPass

You can define that under Managed Network > go to each MC > Configuration > Authentication > Advanced > RADIUS Client > NAS IP (should be the MGMT IP

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 6.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 06, 2018 05:50 PM
    If you have two MC’c jn a cluster, configure also a vrrp vip between the MC’c nodes. This vip is needed to be used as the nas-ip address used in Clearpass NAD Devices.

• 7.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup

Posted Apr 18, 2019 07:41 AM

what does it mean free 30days backup server? 

I saw in other resources that we can have a backup VMM fully free of charge? 

for instance, If I'm planning for a deployment where end customer requires an MM-VA-50 + a backup MM, should I order: 

- MM-VA-50 --- Qty = 1 

or 

- MM-VA-50 --- Qty = 2

• 8.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2019 12:01 PM

Regarding 30 days, the comment above I think is incorrect. With an MM, should the MM go down, the MCs will operate for 30 days before the licenses age out. With Virtual MM, once the MM-VA licenses are acquired, you can stand up a backup VMM without any additional licenses (the primary and backup VMMs will share the licenses to prevent any need for the 30day expiry. 

For your order, you would just need a single MM-VA-50 licenses, and when you stand up the two VMMs and establish the VMM redundancy, they will share the licenses. 

• 9.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup

Posted Sep 05, 2019 05:28 PM

Will the backup VMM, consume a MM license?

• 10.  RE: VM-Mobility Master and Backup

Posted Sep 05, 2019 05:42 PM
    The Primary VMM will share the MM licenses with the Backup VMM

Sent from Mail for Windows 10