Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VMC 8.2.x L3 redundancy via LMS(Master+BackupMaster)

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  VMC 8.2.x L3 redundancy via LMS(Master+BackupMaster)

Posted Jun 06, 2018 11:36 PM
      |   view attached

Greetings,

I'm simulating VMC 8.2x   L3 redundancy thru LMS instead of VRRP since it's L3. I already configured HA group and HA membership declaring the I.P of the 2 VMCs with DUAL role. I have 1 AP per VMC which means I have to make sure that every AP also establish standby link towards another VMC.

the challenge for me is that the 1AP from VMC1 can't establish standby link towards VMC2.

I'm confused I still have to configure BackUp LMS I.P or not

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/LMS-IP-configuration-in-8-0/ta-p/292542

any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

• 2.  RE: VMC 8.2.x L3 redundancy via LMS(Master+BackupMaster)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2018 09:56 AM

With your environment, is the a Mobility Master (MM) involved or just the two VMCs?

• 3.  RE: VMC 8.2.x L3 redundancy via LMS(Master+BackupMaster)

Posted Jun 10, 2018 09:04 PM

Hi cclemmer,

no MM involved only 2 VMCs.

• 4.  RE: VMC 8.2.x L3 redundancy via LMS(Master+BackupMaster)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:56 AM

With 8.x and only two standalone VMCs, there is no "Master" controller for performing config sync between the two controller. Given that, the redundancy options are either VRRP between the two controllers, where one VIP (the LMS IP) is shared between both controllers, or to use the Primary LMS to point to one controller and the Backup LMS to point to the other.