Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VRRP Preemption

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  VRRP Preemption

Posted Jul 20, 2016 08:59 PM

I think I may have an issue with premption or possibly dont understand its default behavior. I do not want Premption in case I have a controller that may be continuosly rebooting.. or if I want to take the Master down for maintenance and dont want AP's to fall back to the original master controller until I am ready. 

I have VRRP setup between Master/Standy as well as Master-Redundancy enabled. I have not configured pre-emption (default state). 

When I shut the VRRP instance on the Master to force failover to the Standby, this works fine. The Standby assumes the Master role for both the VRRP instance as well as the Master-Redundancy state. Great! I can no-shut the VRRP on the original Master and it maintains its state as backup. Again, perfect. However, when I reboot the original Master, when it comes back up, it resumes the Master state. Why? If pre-empt is disabled, I would not think this should happen. 

Master Config: (10.10.1.20 is its address)

master-redundancy
    master-vrrp 1
    peer-ip-address 10.10.1.19 ipsec a2b00bc822d33878b14576e88d0d1b10
    !
    vrrp 1
    priority 120
    authentication secret1
    ip address 10.10.1.21
    vlan 1
    no shutdown

Standby Config: (10.10.1.19 is its address)

master-redundancy
    master-vrrp 1
    peer-ip-address 10.10.1.20 ipsec dfd8496c18fc4b264670d956f1a8d778
    !
    vrrp 1
    priority 110
    authentication secret1
    ip address 10.10.1.21
    vlan 1
    no shutdown

• 2.  RE: VRRP Preemption
    Best Answer

• 3.  RE: VRRP Preemption

Posted Jul 21, 2016 07:50 AM

That makes sense. I will run it through the lab today and post results. Thanks Colin. 

• 4.  RE: VRRP Preemption

Posted Jul 21, 2016 08:26 AM

That did the trick. I enabled port-fast trunk (I had it on the individual interfaces but not the port-channel itself) on my Cisco switch and re-ran the scenario. The original Master came back up in the Backup role. I am sure using the Holdtime variables would have the same effect. 

As always, thanks Colin!

• 5.  RE: VRRP Preemption

Posted Feb 14, 2017 03:14 AM

Hi,

This trick is very helpful thanks,

But this when the mastr rebooted, what if we have a problem with the switch port's (conncted to controller ) ?

I shuted down the link to master controller, the standby became master  

And original master stay mater, since i shut down the interface on the switch the original master thought he is the master but all AP moved to second controller till now evry thing work as expected.

But when i enable back the interface on switch the original master stay master and the second controller moved from master to standby.

I think that the cause to this is the fact that the original master  stay all the times master, is it possible that in case of link failer the second controller will continue to do the master job even after the link working out ?

Regards

rafi