Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Verify Tunnel and Bridge SSIDs

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Verify Tunnel and Bridge SSIDs

Posted May 15, 2018 07:27 PM

Hi experts,

Is there anyway to verify my tunnel and bridge SSIDs are working properly in practice? I mean, I have configured two SSIDs in my controller, one is in tunnel mode and the other one is in bridge mode. When I connect to them, both work properly, I can ping, browse, etc. But I wonder if there is anyway to see practically how the traffic goes within a tunnel in tunnel mode or how the traffic is locally bridge. I tried by doing a tracert to 8.8.8.8 when I am connected to the tunnel SSID to see if the controller IP address is showed as one hop before the gateway, but it doesn't appear. It is for testing purposes.

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Verify Tunnel and Bridge SSIDs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2018 08:33 PM
    The user table will say forwarding mode of tunneled or bridged.

• 3.  RE: Verify Tunnel and Bridge SSIDs
    Best Answer

Posted May 15, 2018 11:32 PM

Hi Juilan,

Please check the output for "show datapath session table <ipaddress of client>

The above command will only show the traffic which is sent to the controller (Tunnel mode).

The traffic for bridge mode SSID will not show up in the above output. You can check it with the command:

show  datapath session ap-name <name of the AP>

The above command will show the bridge mode traffic as client traffic is bridged by the AP.

• 4.  RE: Verify Tunnel and Bridge SSIDs

Posted May 16, 2018 11:02 AM

Hi Nitesh,

I have run those commands and indeed they work very well and prove how the traffic is tunneled or bridged :)

One more question about this, when I created the bridge SSID, the controller asked me to enable CPSec first. Otherwise, I couldn't create the bridge SSID. But this didn't happen with the tunnel SSID. Why this limitation on bridge SSIDs?

Regards,

Julián

• 5.  RE: Verify Tunnel and Bridge SSIDs

Posted May 16, 2018 09:32 PM

Hi Julian,

The answer for this question is listed in the following thread:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Forward-mode-queries/td-p/413728