Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Mobility Controller 8.3.0.1 - problems with some mobile devices

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Virtual Mobility Controller 8.3.0.1 - problems with some mobile devices

Posted Jul 16, 2018 06:50 PM

Hi

I have a strange problem, It mainly appers on mobile devices like Android smartphones and tablets.

I have virtual controller on 8.3.0.1 version, and some 205,304 and 303 APs deployed as Campus without CPSec.

I haven configured typical WPA2-Personal, tunneled WLAN.

Notebooks works fine but mobile devices generally cannot get DHCP address and have concetivity problem.

When I set Ip adress manualy is the same

It is not rather related to radio environment, because network health seems quite high.

I have tried some debugging, but withou effect.

Please help

Karol

• 2.  RE: Virtual Mobility Controller 8.3.0.1 - problems with some mobile devices

Posted Jul 16, 2018 07:18 PM
    Can you share the user-role you are assigning ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Virtual Mobility Controller 8.3.0.1 - problems with some mobile devices

Posted Jul 17, 2018 01:29 AM

Hi Victor

I use default authenticated role 

user-role authenticated
        access-list session global-sacl
        access-list session apprf-authenticated-sacl
        access-list session ra-guard
        access-list session allowall
        access-list session v6-allowall

Generally all my config now seems very typical, although it is possible that I have forgot about something 

regards

Karol

• 4.  RE: Virtual Mobility Controller 8.3.0.1 - problems with some mobile devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2018 02:11 PM

@kkarkowski wrote:

When I set Ip adress manualy is the same

When using a static IP, the client device still does not work?

• 5.  RE: Virtual Mobility Controller 8.3.0.1 - problems with some mobile devices

Posted Jul 24, 2018 02:50 PM

Hi

Exactly, when set static IP address, it is the same, DHCP is simply the first service which the client uses, it seems that some packets arę somewhere dropped.

There must be a difference between windows and android/Linux

We arę after some houres od debugging with Aruba support, but at this moment without success, probably the problem will finally reach engineering team.

Do You have any idea ?

Karol

• 6.  RE: Virtual Mobility Controller 8.3.0.1 - problems with some mobile devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2018 07:01 PM

What are the particular android devices that are having problems? Since notebook computers work, I would ensure that the AP(s) are on valid channels supported by the android devices. Some older (non-802.11ac) android devices did not support DFS channels. If those are in use, that could explain the connectivity problems.

• 7.  RE: Virtual Mobility Controller 8.3.0.1 - problems with some mobile devices

Posted Jul 31, 2018 06:38 PM

Hi

Sorry for a little bit late answer, I was a week on vacations.

I think that this is not the problem with radio and DFS channels, because in debug I can see that this devices associates correctly. 

These devices which I use are: Samsung Note 4, Lenovo Tab A, Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Now, after some investigation it seems that when I set static IP on device it seems to work (although I had some problems before) 

So it seems that there is a problem with DHCP, but only on some devices - mainly mobile.

There must be something wrong in VMware. 

I have configured a network with Promiscius mode, MAC change and Forged enabled and tried to change NIC teaming load balancing algorithm but without effect. (Ip hash).

I have setup on a side one more ESX server witn Aruba VMC (on Intel NUC) and it works fine. The difference is I think that this is onlu ESX and only one NIC.

Any idea, what can I check more ? 

Karol