Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

Posted Mar 12, 2014 05:29 PM

Hi,

I am using visualRF to plan/tweak currently deployed wireless network. We have a two floor building and at the moment I am just planning for top level just to get an idea. Our APs are wall mounted and we won't be able to mount on ceiling due to building modification permission issues.

So my question is that I know when visualrf generates heat map it considers 99 percentile deployment scenario that is ceiling mounted APs and it shows me that I only need 6 APs considering 200 users and 20/radio. But for every AP which it has identified it shows same channel requirement that is for 2.4 it says channel 1 and for 5ghz it says channel 52 for each AP. Is this correct? Should I be not using three non-overlapping channels 1, 6 , and 11 in 2.4ghz band?

Also how I can relate the heat map to my deployment scenario that is wall mounted APs rather than on ceiling?

Thanks.

Farzan

• 2.  RE: Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2014 05:45 PM

VisualRF assumes that most if not all access points are mounted on the ceiling, instead of a wall, so you will not get accurate planning with VisualRF for your particular setup, because it expects a pattern matching how an access point is mounted on the ceiling.  Instead, Visual RF has an option to overlay a GRID over your drawing.  Just overlay a grid of 60 feet by 60 feet and make sure there is one access point in each box on the grid.  This will work for standard deployments for coverage.  It will NOT work for warehouses, or walls that are made of brick or rebar.  This will give you a starting point.

• 3.  RE: Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

Posted Mar 12, 2014 05:51 PM

Would you please guide me from where I can set grid on my diagram?

• 4.  RE: Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

Posted Mar 12, 2014 05:53 PM

One more question that why it advise to set same channel for all provisioned Aps on floor plan?

• 5.  RE: Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2014 06:21 PM

It does not spread out the channels.  the controller would do this automatically based on changing RF conditions, so it is not necessary to plot the channels.  If you had Airwave and put in your floor plans, it would tell you EXACTLY what your channels are at the time.  My advice (again) is to obtain an evaluation version of Airwave so that you can get critical and historical information about your environment  on the road to fixing your issue.

To show Grid lines on your diagram, click the Gears in the upper right corner:  Change Configure preferences to "Grid Lines"

grid.PNG

• 6.  RE: Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

Posted Mar 12, 2014 06:31 PM

Thanks.

As suggested by you I will aquire Airwave evaluation copy and will see how it goes. I will get back to this forum with more information for you to help.

• 7.  RE: Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

Posted Feb 03, 2015 11:18 AM

Did they remove the preferences box in Airwave 8 using HTML 5? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and grids would be very helpful.

Thank you.

• 8.  RE: Virtual Survey using VisualRF Plan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2015 02:27 PM

To get grid heatmaps:

Navigate to a floor plan

Click to the 'View' options (on the right menu panel)

Under Overlays

Click the arrow next to Heatmap

Then check 'Show overlay as grid'

grid.jpg