Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Visual RF Planner recommendations for performance

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Visual RF Planner recommendations for performance

Posted Feb 09, 2012 10:13 AM

Any recommendations for getting the offline Visual RF Planner tool to run better / optimally?

I am running version 7.3.0 on a laptop with a Core i5 2.67Ghz and 4GB RAM 32 bit.

I have tried to set the Java run time parameters to use more RAM with the setting -Xmx756M but iit does not seem to have any affect.

The issue I am having is that the application is slow to load (3 minutes or more to open) I get java heap errors when trying to export Visual RF backups of designs I have done. All other functions in the application also appear slow.

I am seeing this not only on my laptop but on others within our company of different model, profile, etc...

WIll having multiple campuses within the application make it run slower? I have probably a dozen or more campus designs in the application. I have exported off several that are not in current status with us and saved them off but they were small and removing them from the application did not seem to make any difference.

Any help or recommedations is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Visual RF Planner recommendations for performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2012 10:21 AM

In general the more campuses, buildings, floors you have in the tool the slower it will get.  Normallly I do my planning work and then back it up, export it, and then remove it from the tool.  When I open my copy of VisualRF Plan all you see is the default campus.  I then import the campus/building I need to work on.  A minor inconvience for a huge performance gain.  Besides, backing up your work is a good practice anyways.

• 3.  RE: Visual RF Planner recommendations for performance

Posted Feb 10, 2012 09:00 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I have backed up the campuses I had in my plan and then deleted them until all I had left was the default campus.

The response does seem better now but it still takes a minute or two for the application to open and when moving between floors of a building, refreshing, or enabling the heatmap it still is sluggish. During all these actions the little satellite orbits the center circle for a minute or so.

Any tweaks that will speed up the response of the application?

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: Visual RF Planner recommendations for performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2012 09:12 AM

That is what I experience as well.  I do not have any other specific tweaks to make it faster for you.  I do know the application uses a lot of PC resources.  When I added more memory to my laptop it got better but not significant.