Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF Planner not run on Windows 8.1

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VisualRF Planner not run on Windows 8.1

Posted May 13, 2015 03:24 PM

Hi,

I get a new laptop with windows 8.1, but i try to install and run latest version of Visual RF Planner 7.7 available, the installation of the software is good, but at the run the application, just open a little windows where say "load", and some seconds the window close and never run the application...

I try to check the FW of windows, i run in admin mode, i run the compatible mode, i uninstall and install again, but allways get the same result, not run...

somebody know what can be happening.

BR GuSo

• 2.  RE: VisualRF Planner not run on Windows 8.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2015 03:25 PM
    Do you have Java 7 installed?

• 3.  RE: VisualRF Planner not run on Windows 8.1

Posted May 13, 2015 04:59 PM

Now I have installed Java 7u79, latest version... but the same issue.

• 4.  RE: VisualRF Planner not run on Windows 8.1

Posted Jul 07, 2015 07:20 PM

i've got exactly the same issue. 

I contacted the TAC and after 2 weeks of back and forth, i have tried installing / uninstallting 7.6 / 7.7 and java as well but no luck. 

have tried admin mode / compatibility mode etc with no luck.

The TAC has given up on me and told me to call microsoft. 

This is a recently built Win 8.1 pro machine. 

Anybody got any tips?

• 5.  RE: VisualRF Planner not run on Windows 8.1

Posted Jul 08, 2015 05:14 AM

I have some good news for anybody else with this problem. I managed to push this through the TAC and they looked into things further and found the issue. 

Turns out there was something going on with file permissions in the RF Plan installation directory which was preventing the database starting. 

The visualrf logs showed the following:

aused by: java.sql.SQLException: cannot create log file at directory C:\Users\Scott\Documents\RF Plans\airwave\data\database\log.

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)

... 12 more

Caused by: ERROR XSLAQ: cannot create log file at directory C:\Users\Scott\Documents\RF Plans\airwave\data\database\log.

at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)

015-07-08 12:05:31,261 ERROR Database     com.airwave.core.data.DatabaseServiceImpl Database is required startup cannot continue. initiating shutdown

2015-07-08 12:05:31,265 ERROR Event        com.airwave.core.EventDispatcherImpl persist threadpool size property

java.io.FileNotFoundException: core.properties (Access is denied)

To resolve this i uninstalled the app, deleted the backup files in the rf plans directory above and then did a clean install. when i opened the program for the first time it asked me to specifiy a directory for the RF plan files to be stored. I placed them in a folder on c:\ and it worked fine!

Hope this saves someone else some hassles as its taken me nearly 3 weeks to get this fixed!

• 6.  RE: VisualRF Planner not run on Windows 8.1

Posted May 13, 2015 03:32 PM
      |   view attached

No, i have install Java 8 (update 45)