Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF and heatmaps in post install environment

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VisualRF and heatmaps in post install environment

Posted Nov 25, 2015 04:34 AM

When heatmap info is represented on an imported plan, is it based on measurements taken between APs of the strenght of the singals it sees from adjacent/surrounding APs, or simply based on the typical footpirnt of a single AP?

I can only assume its based on the footprint of a single AP otherwise there would  be no need to actually highlight walls.. why would you not want AP1 to report how much of AP2 it can actually see, as surely this is how ARM works, so why not show this visually, negating the need to then have to draw walls or anything else that would affect the signal.

I can of course see how this is useful for pre installation planning, but where you already have an installation, it seems somwhat pointless to have to have to mark up drawings with walls, when APs are already aware of each other and the effect structures are having on coverage.

I could also be simply missing somehting!

• 2.  RE: VisualRF and heatmaps in post install environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2015 06:59 AM

Correct.  The only exception to that is if you have areas that do NOT have dense coverage; if you only have sparse coverage, marking walls will give a better idea of where the RF is propagating, when no access points can provide that information.