Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF error Msgs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VisualRF error Msgs

Posted Nov 29, 2012 09:51 AM

So I have been having some weird issues with VisualRF and I checked the log and see a bunch(about 30) of things like this:

2012-11-29 09:40:07,110 WARN Grid Builder com.airwave.rf.SignalServiceImpl Survey discovering radio not found for [641.2] at signal[-70]

Then I get maybe twice as many that look like this:

2012-11-29 09:40:35,151 ERROR AirBusMs[1] com.airwave.model.external.SubscriptionMessageTask AP ID[24] discovered by Type[com.airwave.model.AccessPointRadio] Key[726.1] has no matching Radio at 5.0GHz

These groups of messages repeat every minute.

Are these of any concern?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: VisualRF error Msgs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2012 01:58 PM

The first message is a “WARN” which I typically ignore as additional logging from the code base.  In this case, the warning is most likely because the AP with id=641 has not been placed on a site floor plan.

The second message is an “ERROR” (these are the messages I pay more attention to) because discovering AP radio information is missing.  Is AP with id=726 showing correct radio status on the site map?

• 3.  RE: VisualRF error Msgs

Posted Nov 29, 2012 02:05 PM

How do I find the AP ID, or the AP with that ID?

• 4.  RE: VisualRF error Msgs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2012 02:12 PM

When you navigate to an AP, you're hitting a URL.  It might look something like:

http://amp.name/ap_monitoring?id=#

In your case, replace 'amp.name' with either the IP or hostname of your AMP.  And replace # with either 641 or 726.

• 5.  RE: VisualRF error Msgs

Posted Nov 29, 2012 02:18 PM

Ok - thanks.

It looks as though all the ones in there are my Dorm Air Monitors, which do not have a 5Ghz Radio. What is this message telling me?

Thanks Again.

• 6.  RE: VisualRF error Msgs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2012 02:45 PM

Not having 5GHz radios on the Air Monitors confirms the error message.  This tells us that a potential rogue device that may be using the 5Ghz band was detected by a non 5Ghz radio.  How you interpret the error may vary based on this question: In your deployment, how does a potential rogue using the higher frequency affect your WLAN?

• 7.  RE: VisualRF error Msgs

Posted Nov 29, 2012 03:23 PM

In the dorms, we don't care. We just want them off the 2.4 range.

Thanks for the info.