Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF question

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  VisualRF question

Posted Sep 28, 2012 11:20 AM

How or can I update an exisiting floor plan drawing?

• 2.  RE: VisualRF question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2012 11:56 AM

Do you mean replace the existing floor plan file with a new one?

If so, here's a copy of my response to another thread that asked the same:
    ---

Different ideas have been thrown around for this.  If you have any good suggestions, we'd love to hear any ideas on how to improve this.

The reason for deleting and re-adding the floor plan is due to the final image used for mapping.  Original floor plan was added with height / width dimensions, these dimensions are converted to a scheme of x,y coordinates on a grid.  Any devices added also have x,y coordinates matching this image's grid.  The x,y coordinate scheme as you can tell, is the sole reason replacing the floor plan won't work in the current implementation.  There's no guarantee that the replacement image will have the same exact scaling and cropping of white space for x,y coordinates to be consistent with the already learned coordinates.

Ultimately, the need to delete and re-add floor plans for replacement forces users to redo some work, but increases the chance that they'll have accurate placement of devices on floor plans in VisualRF.

---

The original thread that this response came from:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AirWave/Any-way-to-replace-floorplan/m-p/45616#M853

• 3.  RE: VisualRF question

Posted Oct 02, 2012 10:25 AM

I was looking to update a floor plan without having to delete and redo the whole plan.

• 4.  RE: VisualRF question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2012 10:49 AM

Thanks for the update.  That's currently not an option at this time.  For better tracking and Product Management visibility, I would suggest opening a feature request through support or your sales contact.

• 5.  RE: VisualRF question

Posted Oct 02, 2012 11:09 AM

Rob-

On a similar thread (your response made me think of it): I know visual RF allows for an origin point to be established to appropriately calculate/reference above/below floor RF info.  Can VRF be tweaked to use this as the origin point for the whole floor plan for other functions? 

IE If I create a two floor building that doesn't perfectly align floor to floor based on my cropping; I can get the RF data aligned with an origin point.  However, when I create a location probability region on the first floor, and try copy it to the floor above, it seems to use the absolute x,y coordinates of the image when copying up.  Couldn't this be more accurate (and save lots of time) if it was indexed with the origin point (or I guess points would be required for scale)?

Kevin

• 6.  RE: VisualRF question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2012 05:34 PM

Kevin,

That'd be a great feature request / enhancement.  The current setup has some limitations, but I see how your suggestion could improve the region duplication feature.  Though it still wouldn't quite resolve the floor plan mapping issue due to white space, but at least for regions it could calculate difference in x,y scaling between floors.  For now, open a quick support case to get your suggestion filed into our feature database for tracking.  I'll also bring it up with Product Management.

Thanks for your suggestion!

• 7.  RE: VisualRF question

Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:24 AM

It would be nice if you could just edit the current map. We'd like to add our wiring closet locations with short description (i.e. IC1) but this is kind of a pain to delete the existing and readd the floor, then wait for the list of AP's to populate to add them back in?!? 

• 8.  RE: VisualRF question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:31 AM

You can add a wiring closet directly on the map, but only with the Flash-based version of VisualRF:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AirWave_8_0_Web_Help/UserGuide.htm#AWUserGuide/Chapter9_VisualRF/Adding_Regions.htm?Highlight=closet

• 9.  RE: VisualRF question

Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:55 AM

Thanks Colin! That worked great on our test system, but on production, our maps are really big, and in the flash version, it doesn't show up right:Capture.PNG

It seems like our imported background are bigger than the flash version can handle? The shadowed edge seems like the edge of the display for the flash version?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike

• 10.  RE: VisualRF question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:57 AM

What is the size and format of your background map?

• 11.  RE: VisualRF question

Posted Mar 15, 2016 11:01 AM

Colin,

The original was a PNG that is 1282x926.

Thanks,

Mike

• 12.  RE: VisualRF question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 11:15 AM

Did you import it in HTML5 or in the Flash-based?

• 13.  RE: VisualRF question

Posted Mar 15, 2016 11:17 AM

Colin,

HTML5

Mike