Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Vlan Pooling Issue i client registerring multiple IP in DHCP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Vlan Pooling Issue i client registerring multiple IP in DHCP

Posted Mar 03, 2014 06:15 AM

Currently I have 6 vlans that are have been placed in a Vlan IP pool. Each of these Vlan is pointing to one Microsoft DHCP server. Issue here is once Ive associated the Vlan pool to the broadcasting SSID - Im getting IP exhaustion from all these 6 vlans. Upon furher investigation, even thought each wireless client is getting one IP from either one of these vlans, there are 6 IP lease records that have been registerred in the DHCP server. Not really sure if this is microsoft issue. Anyone can help.

• 2.  RE: Vlan Pooling Issue i client registerring multiple IP in DHCP

Posted Mar 03, 2014 06:20 AM
    What AOS version are you using ?

Are you using hash or even ?

Have you tried enabling enforce dhcp under the aaa profile ?

• 3.  RE: Vlan Pooling Issue i client registerring multiple IP in DHCP

Posted Mar 03, 2014 06:44 AM

Im using (MODEL: Aruba3400), Version 6.2.1.2 as master and the other (MODEL: Aruba3200), Version 6.2.1.2
     as local.
    The IP pool is running as even.

Enfore DHCp is turned Off. - Is this ther reason why.

• 4.  RE: Vlan Pooling Issue i client registerring multiple IP in DHCP

Posted Mar 03, 2014 08:59 AM

I have seen this behavior with Even sometimes where the controller tries even the amount of devices accross the different VLAN and some devices might end up having two IP addresses in the user table when shift around by the Even algorithm.

I think Hash algorithm is a bit more consistent and efficient than Even based on past experiences .

If you run the following command it will allow to see how the controller is balancing the client accross the different VLANs:

show vlan-assignment

VLAN Assignment
    ---------------
    VLAN #CLIENTS
    ---- --------