Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Oct 08, 2012 02:21 PM

I'm doing some testing with out Cisco Voip infrastrucutre, an 93H and a RAP3WNP.   If I set the ports, on either device, directly into the VoiP vlan, the Phones work.  No issues.   Now, I'm trying to get the Wired Port on the back of the Phone to work in the data vlan.   So in essence, you would plug the phone in, it would attach to the Voice vlan and the Wired Port on the back of the Voip phone would allow a computer to attach to the Data Network.

I've found the instrcutions for doing it on a Mobility Switch:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/VoIPwMASAppNote-20120726.pdf

However, I can't seem to make those work for this setup, which doesn't really surprise me as they're really different products.  Anyway to set a Voip-vlan on these with a Data-Vlan or are they only intended for a single vlan per port?  The Pass-Through port is one solution for the 93H, but I'm more concerned with a RAP scenerio, with no Pass-through available.

Has anyone had any success with this on either of these types of devices?  Am i just missing something on the port configs on these devices?  

Thanks for any information you can provide.

• 2.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2012 02:25 PM

In the Wired AP profile, you need to set the mode for Trunk, as well as set the switch port mode to trunk, the Trunk Mode Native Vlan, as well as the Trunk mode Allowed VLANs for this to work.

trunk.png

• 3.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Oct 08, 2012 02:31 PM

So then the Native Vlan is the Data Vlan? or Voice Vlan?  This works with LLDP-MED?

• 4.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Oct 08, 2012 03:32 PM

I tried this, however, the Phone and the Wired port on the Phone, get an IP address in whatever Vlan is set to Native.   Not getting the appropriate seperation.  Any other ideas?

• 5.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2012 10:05 PM

LLDP-MED is passed between the AP and the switch it is connected to.  The AP cannot be configured for LLDP-MED...  Is the switchport on the VLAN that is connected to the Aruba Controller configured for LLDP-MED?  That would be the only chance for that to work in such a fashion.

• 6.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Oct 09, 2012 08:57 AM

The switch isn't directly configured for LLDP-MED.  The switch is set as a trunk port with a native vlan specified, a Cisco 37XX series.   I wasn't too concerned about LLDP, was just a question about possibiliites.  

I'm more concerend with getting the port on the back of the phone to pick up the data network properly, which I can't seem to get using either trunk mode or access mode.  I'm not sure all the functionality is there on either a Rap or a 93H when compared to a full Access Switch, and I'm thinking that is the issue, as it seems an AP Wired Port profile isn't directly comparable to an Interface or switching Profile, which do not appear to be in the command set for a M3 running 6.1.3.4.  

Thoughts?  

• 7.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2012 09:29 AM

What is the mechanism used to supply that to the phone internally?  DHCP Option? Static?  CDP?  The RAP should be able to bridge CDP or LLDP med if the port that is connected to the controller is configured for it.

• 8.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Oct 09, 2012 09:52 AM

Its currently using CDP.  The controller is directly connected to a Port Channel, with all ports (4) on the same Cisco 6500, varying blades for redundancy.  LLDP is enabled at the Switch level, not on an individual port level.  My current test is using a 93H in CAP mode, not RAP mode.  All traffic is tunneled.   The 93H is currently connected to an edge switch, Cisco as well, with port set in trunk with native vlan, as stated before.  

I have a RAP3 that I was going to setup and test this with for Remote Office Purposes, however, I have yet to do that.  

I was under the assumption that If I got the proper config setup for CAP mode then I could easily transfer it over to a RAP config without issue, since all the traffic is tunneled.  In a RAP scenerio, for us anyway, the remote office won't have the Cisco equipment in place, only their ISP supplied connection, like a cable modem or DSL Router.   Is this a wrong assessment? 

• 9.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2012 09:58 AM

@ShawnShoe wrote:

Its currently using CDP.  The controller is directly connected to a Port Channel, with all ports (4) on the same Cisco 6500, varying blades for redundancy.  LLDP is enabled at the Switch level, not on an individual port level.  My current test is using a 93H in CAP mode, not RAP mode.  All traffic is tunneled.   The 93H is currently connected to an edge switch, Cisco as well, with port set in trunk with native vlan, as stated before.  

I have a RAP3 that I was going to setup and test this with for Remote Office Purposes, however, I have yet to do that.  

I was under the assumption that If I got the proper config setup for CAP mode then I could easily transfer it over to a RAP config without issue, since all the traffic is tunneled.  In a RAP scenerio, for us anyway, the remote office won't have the Cisco equipment in place, only their ISP supplied connection, like a cable modem or DSL Router.   Is this a wrong assessment? 

It should work with CAP and RAP mode.  You might want to do a wired port packet Capture to see if the CDP frames are making it out to the 93H wired port.

• 10.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Oct 09, 2012 10:48 AM

I can confirm that CDP is working.  I can CDP and see the Phone connected to my Port-Channel.  I can also Show my LLDP neighbords and it shows up there as well.  Doing packet-capture confirms this. However, the phone is still only pulling DHCP from the Trunk Native vlan, not the voice vlan.   

• 11.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Nov 10, 2012 08:44 PM

I got this working perfectly with remote APS...

Example

Vlan 200 = Data vlan

Vlan 400 = Voice

For example i got a small rap2  for a client in which he just need one ip phone the wired port(his desktop is behind this phone and wireless conection for 2 guys

Now i set up on the AP on  native vlan for data and i tagged the voice vlan i mean vlan 400  and native vlan is 200

So on trunk allowed vlans i got vlan 400 and on trunk native vlan i got vlan 200

I got it like this and its working good

• 12.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Dec 20, 2012 10:38 AM

Hi Gents

I'm trying to get exactly this working, but haven't yet been successful, despite trying to follow the above instructions. 

Pretty much the same setup as ShawnShoe; that is:

Rap2wn

Cisco VOIP Phone with CDP and LLDP-MED enabled - Voice VLAN DHCP provided by UC320W

Laptop to connect to the PC port of the Cisco Phone (But can't get the correct VLAN IP)

3200 Controller (6.1.3)

Voice Vlan 100, Access Vlan 15

Would someone mind elaborating on how to get this working correctly?

• 13.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Dec 20, 2012 11:11 AM

I've tried several times to get this working without any luck.  I tried the suggestions in the forum and still have the same results I started with.  I can see CDP and LLDP-MED being tunneled through and working, but still same result.  No matter what I set the port settings to, When the port is in trunk or access modes, Both the Phone and the Data Port on the phone use whatever vlan is set to the Trunk Native Vlan in Trunk Mode, or the Access Vlan in access mode.   I don't see that the Allowed vlans statement is working at all, as my data vlan in some tests wasn't even allowed, yet it was still being placed in those vlans and working when that was set as the native vlan.  In our case its Data Vlan 100 and Voice Vlan 90.  We're running an M3 Controller on 6.1.3.4 currently.  

An elaboration of all the exact settings would be greatly appreciated by someone who has this up and working.  Thank You.

• 14.  RE: VoiP phone with 93H or Rap

Posted Dec 20, 2012 11:32 AM

I'm seeing pretty much the exact same results as yourself; that is, whichever Trunk Native VLAN you set, is the VLAN IP you get for both phone and PC.

I am using a Cisco switch currently (Although I have an Aruba switch waiting to get implimented).