Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WEP key with Captive Portal authentication

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  WEP key with Captive Portal authentication

Posted Dec 14, 2015 02:51 PM

We're using a captive portal profile for our staff and students. They authenticate to a directory via LDAP. Things are working well in our test enviroment but I am wondering if we can add a WEP key in order to encrypyt the data being sent from the client to the AP. My thinking is: users would only have to enter this WEP key once and it would be saved in the wireless profile on their devices. Once it saved, they would only have to enter their LDAP creds via the CP page. 

Is this possible?

• 2.  RE: WEP key with Captive Portal authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2015 02:53 PM
    Yes, but I would highly recommend using WPA2-PSK instead. WEP should not be used anymore except special cases with legacy equipment.

Also keep in mind that with shared key encryption, users can decrypt each others traffic. I would strongly recommend looking at using 802.1X instead.

• 3.  RE: WEP key with Captive Portal authentication

Posted Dec 14, 2015 03:04 PM

Ok, thanks Tim. 

I'm using WPA2-PSK now but I am not prompted to enter my username and password - no CP. 

• 4.  RE: WEP key with Captive Portal authentication
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2015 03:07 PM
    Did you set the initial role to your captive portal logon role?

Sent from Nine

• 5.  RE: WEP key with Captive Portal authentication

Posted Dec 14, 2015 04:31 PM

ah...thank you. It's working now. 

As for traffic being decrpyted...is there anything in "stateful firewall" that would make a difference? I see "deny inter user traffic" for example?

• 6.  RE: WEP key with Captive Portal authentication

Posted Dec 20, 2015 02:38 PM

nope nothing, that option is to prevent users from talking to each other on the same SSID.