Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

Posted Jul 27, 2017 09:42 AM

We are using the IAP-214 model on 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.6. We are using the instant controller, with ClearPass for our authentication.

We recently deployed IPhone 7's among our users, which utilizes Wi-Fi calling. As we have areas in our deployment that don't have access to cellular networks, we need to utilize WiFi calling.

Our users are reporting that they are having the WiFi calls drop. As this is a new requirement, I'm tyring to identify what the best practice is for configuring WiFi calling on the aruba instants.

The phones are connected to an employee type SSID. Are there any recommended settings I should be using?

• 2.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2017 10:01 AM

What calling system are you using?  That will determine what should be prioritized or not.  In addition, ultimate success will be determined by if the phone itself is prioritizing traffic from the phone to the AP.

• 3.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 27, 2017 10:33 AM

Hey,  Wifi Calling on the iPhone uses UDP4500/UDP500 (basically creates an IPSEC tunnel out. So this would be my first place too look, is this traffic being prioritised in the first case?

https://support.apple.com/et-ee/HT202944

• 4.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

Posted Jul 27, 2017 11:12 AM

I'll need a little help understanding the terms your asking for first

What is meant by which calling system I'm using/where can I find this?

I haven't done anything for prioitization of traffic. Where would this be found?

• 5.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2017 12:13 PM

@David_Spencer wrote:

I'll need a little help understanding the terms your asking for first

What is meant by which calling system I'm using/where can I find this?

I haven't done anything for prioitization of traffic. Where would this be found?

Your dropped calls could be a symptom of poor wifi.  It is possible you can reduce or eliminate the drops if you optimize.  How many access points do you have?  Is this an indoor deployment?  The 214s have external antennas---is there a reason why you have external antennas?  Tell us something about your wifi deployment and what it is used for...

• 6.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

Posted Jul 27, 2017 01:08 PM

We are an industrial manufacturing complex, with indoor and outdoor requirements, and our location expands a few square kilometers. We have the site sectioned in to mutliple areas, each area with their own VC. We have airwave as the centralized management server for them.

In total we have 30 access points, with on average 400 connected clients. We are in the process of installing ~20 more access points

We chose the IAP-214s as they allow different antennas to be attached, some for indoor use and some for outdoor use, so that the APs are easy to repurpose.

In the office areas we have the access points distributed in a checkered fasion, so that no IAP is directly above another per floor (with some exceptions due to materials of the building), and an appropriate distance between them on the floors.

The manufacturing locations are placed as needed.

There are two main areas where the issue is occuring:

1) Our most populated access point in an office environment. Currently the IAP has 70 users connected. We are planning on installing a 2nd IAP in this cubicle room soon (about 30 meters away from the current unit. This area has 15 access points in total throughout the building currently.

2) In a Manufacturing Office area. Minimal users connecting. The surrounding environment has lots of heavy materials (steel plating everywhere). They do not receive Cellular networks in this area, so they must use WiFi calling, or landline. This area has 4 access points.

The wireless is used for business applications mostly. Majority of devices connecting are Smart Phones. No one should be using Video over wireless.

• 7.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2017 01:33 PM

Got it.

How many SSIDs do you have?

Are you using 20 or 40mhz channels?

Do you have "Broadcast filter ARP" enabled for all of your SSIDs?

How high are your access points mounted in the area in question and what external antennas do you have connected to them?

What is the transmit power of your access points in that location?

• 8.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

Posted Jul 27, 2017 01:57 PM

We have 3 SSID's.

1. An Internal SSID, which all our users are on. (all users with the issue on this network). ARP broadcast filtering is on.
    2. A Guest SSID, Captive portal (guest access to DMZ) 
    3. A Contractor SSID, Captive Portal (guest access to internal VLAN).

In ARM, I'm at prefer 5GHz, Fair Access, with Client Match enabled. Min transmit power is at 12, max at 18. Wide Channel Bands at 5GHz.

VHT is enabled.

I can't recall where to check for 20MHz or 40MHz channels.

Ceilings are average height, <10 feet, where the IAPs are mounted.

These IAPs are using Aruba AP-ANT-1W antennas.

Transmit power is managed by ARM. (on default)

• 9.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2017 02:18 PM
    Looks good. Wide = 40 mhz channels. Which leaves you with 4 non-overlapping channels in most areas. I would uncheck that to gain 9 non-overlapping channels and to reduce contention.

Do you have broadcast filter ARP on all of your SSIDs?

• 10.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

Posted Jul 27, 2017 02:36 PM

For unchecking wide channel bands, My options are 2.4GHz, all, or none, which do you mean? (I assume None, but want to verify)

Broadcast Filter ARP is on all SSIDS except the Guest SSID. There was a reason for disabling it that I can't see in my documents right now.

• 11.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2017 03:10 PM
    None. You are correct.

I would try that as an initial step. You could have a switch or router do a constant ping on a device while it is on the call to see if your problem is a connectivity problem or an application problem. If it is not connectivity, we would go to the next step which is optimizing the application piece.

• 12.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

Posted Jul 28, 2017 09:43 AM

I'll get this implemented, and run some tests when I can. I'll report back and let everyone know the results.

• 13.  RE: WIFI calling configuration - dropped calls

Posted Dec 09, 2020 09:40 AM
    Hi, I was wondering if you managed to resolve your issues?

------------------------------
    Joan Tomasso
    ------------------------------