Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WLAN - VLANs - Users - APs

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  WLAN - VLANs - Users - APs

Posted Nov 24, 2011 07:41 AM

I ran into this issue, probably my own fault - 

I had a "special" wlan created with a vlan assigned, that is used for our athletic department's track & field finishline timing system.  I used a non-broadcast ssid (WPA2-PSK) for a couple of wireless-to-serial adapters connected to running time clocks and the data is transfered wirelessly to the finishline PC that is connected/wired to that vlan.  Devices have to be on the same network.

I had connected an AP105/175 to an access port on that vlan - (BAD IDEA)  Took me more than a few days of on and off trouble shooting to figure out why the AP on that access port would not function.

So my question is related to the fact that: needing to provide access to that "special" vlan, to both wired and wireless clients - can I, in fact, put wired and wireless users on the same valn without causing some sort of conflict?

Seems my mistake was only in connecting the AP to the vlan used for the WLAN users?

ARUBA OS 6.1.2.4 Master and Local controllers, 446 AP-105s, 2 AP-175s and 6 RAP-2s.

• 2.  RE: WLAN - VLANs - Users - APs

Posted Nov 24, 2011 07:53 AM
    As long as the AP can find your controller via whatever methods you're using it should not cause an issue connect it to the users vlan. For small deployments we often have wired and wireless clients and APs on the same vlan without issue but obviously I would not recommend this for a deployment of your size.

You mentioned that the AP would not function, exactly what was occurring? Was it broadcasting SSID?

• 3.  RE: WLAN - VLANs - Users - APs

Posted Nov 24, 2011 07:57 AM

AP would initially connect to the Master and then never "move" to the local - then would be tagged D and I on the Master.  Radios would not come up.

• 4.  RE: WLAN - VLANs - Users - APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2011 08:17 AM

On the commandline of the controller, type "show profile-errors" to see if something fails the pre-flight check for your WLAN.

• 5.  RE: WLAN - VLANs - Users - APs

Posted Nov 24, 2011 03:05 PM

(SLU-ARUBA-MASTER) #show profile-errors

Invalid Profiles
    ----------------
    Profile Error
    ------- -----
    aaa authentication via auth-profile "default"

(SLU-ARUBA-MASTER) #

That configuration (WLAN) is now gone.  When I moved the AP to a different vlan (access port on the same switch) the problem disappeared.

So it should be a functional configuration to have the AP, wired clients on vlan xxx, and the same vlan assigned to the WLAN for ssid xxx??

• 6.  RE: WLAN - VLANs - Users - APs

Posted Nov 24, 2011 05:49 PM

Here's what I think it was/is - MY APs are discovering the controllers via ADP; and since I have an interface configured on the controllers, for the vlan in question, I feel like the APs can not properly discover the master, then go to the local with that configuration.

I also have DNS configured for ARUBA-MASTER.  I'm sure the discovery is done via ADP first, then hard-coded (I'm not doing that) and finally DNS?

Can I disable ADP on the contrllers to test this theory?  Thoughts?

I'll be opening a case next Monday to resolve this.

• 7.  RE: WLAN - VLANs - Users - APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2011 01:17 AM

ADP will trump DNS.  To turn ADP off on that controller:

config t

adp dsicovery disable

adp igmp-join disable