Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WLAN with WPA2-Enterprise. PEF License required?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  WLAN with WPA2-Enterprise. PEF License required?

Posted Aug 28, 2020 02:27 PM
      |   view attached

Hi everyone

I have a quick doubt. In order to configure a WLAN with WPA2-Enterprise authentication with a Windows NPS, is it required a PEF license?

According with ArubaOs 8.6 Licensing guide:

AP License: An AP license is required for each operational LAN-connected, mesh,or remote AP that is advertising at least one BSSID(virtual-AP).

PEF License: One operational AP using one or more Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF) features, such as intelligent application identification, policy-based traffic management and controls, or stateful user firewalls.

And on the ArubaOS 8.6 User guide, on "Configuring 802.1X Authentication" step 2 explains how to configure a policy, but that won´t be available without PEF licenses.

Is that right? Is it necesary to purchase PEF licenses for an authentication that is going to be performed on another device?

Thanks in advance and regards

• 2.  RE: WLAN with WPA2-Enterprise. PEF License required?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2020 03:01 PM

You can configure WPA2-Enterprise without PEF, but all users will obtain the same unfiltered role.

• 3.  RE: WLAN with WPA2-Enterprise. PEF License required?

Posted Aug 28, 2020 03:32 PM

Hi cjoseph,

And that unfiltered role will let users access the network after the authentication?

Regards

• 4.  RE: WLAN with WPA2-Enterprise. PEF License required?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2020 04:02 PM

Yes.

• 5.  RE: WLAN with WPA2-Enterprise. PEF License required?

Posted Aug 29, 2020 03:57 AM

Thank you cjoseph,

I´ll test it on monday and I´ll let you know if it worked for me

Regards