Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WMM and EDCA without PEF

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  WMM and EDCA without PEF

Posted Nov 04, 2012 01:58 PM

Hi,

One simple question, if I do not have PEF will WMM and EDCA still working and voice traffic will be still marked through the network.

if yes, then what other advantage than (remarking if priority is fake and filter traffic to internet) will PEF provide for VoWLAN (voice SSID), do I need PEF for CAC or Bandwidth assignemnt to ESSIDs ?

• 2.  RE: WMM and EDCA without PEF

Posted Nov 05, 2012 12:53 AM

The following voice functionalities are not available without the PEFNG license:

VOIP ALG support (such as SIP, SCCP, and H.323)

VOIP CAC functionality

Voice mobility

WMM content enforcement

Battery boost

WPA fast handover support

SIP authentication tracking

Custom WMM EDCA profiles for SSID profiles

And i dont think you need the PEFNG to control the BW per SSID  i mean if you want it per VAP you can assign a porcentage( a share) on the QoS profile like 40% of the BW to x SSID  and 60% to y SSID...

But if you want to limit the BW for example per ap group, per user or per role you need the Pefng license as you do it on the ROLE, and you cannot modifiy the role unless you have the PEFNG license...

• 3.  RE: WMM and EDCA without PEF

Posted Nov 05, 2012 01:13 AM

Thanks NightShed,

One last thing I want to know, if my switching/routing network does not implement DSCP values for priority or queueing at all, does this mean that enabling WMM in the controller will be useless or will it provide some functionality for voice or will it make the situation worse?

• 4.  RE: WMM and EDCA without PEF

Posted Nov 05, 2012 01:21 AM

Well yes it is important to ensure that all tags, 802.1p, DSCP, and WMM access categories, match in the upstream and downstream directions, and also across wired and wireless networks.

I show you a graphic

QoSendtoend

• 5.  RE: WMM and EDCA without PEF

Posted Nov 05, 2012 01:54 AM

Nice, so WMM can be used to utilize power saving feature. If I enabled it for priority it will not have (BAD) effect if my underlying network is not utilizing it (for downlink at least).