Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2018 04:42 PM

Last week I ran into an issue (warning) when deploying the OVA (8.3.0.4) for the Mobility Master VM on ESX 6.x. I ran the normal steps, deployed the OVA, adjusted the vCPU/HDD/Memory just as in the manual. After booting the MM I got a warning from the disk manager inside the bootprocess of the MM:

WARNING: Flash size (5GB) should be at least half the size of RAM (64GB) - Reduce the RAM size or re-add a new disk with at least haf the size of  RAM

screenshot1.jpg

After booting the MM I took a look at the inventory (show inventory) and the storage (show storage) because I wanted to see if the MM was 'classified' as an MM-VA-5K and see which disk was 5GB in size. Because 5GB in size isn't the normal size of any deployment of a MM-VA. In the screenshot below you can see that the MM is a MM-VA-5K, but the /flash disk (/dev/sdb1) is only 5.8GB with 5.0GB free (this must be the earlier seen 5GB?, the 5.8GB will match a MM-VA-50 6GB disk size)

screenshot2.jpg

Double checking the VM settings I could confirm the second HDD being 64GB in size.

As this was a new deployment I redeployed a new OVA (still 8.3.0.4) and got the same warning. After which I deployed a OVA (8.3.0.3) and got the same warning.

After consulting with Aruba TAC (Thanks guys!) we did the following steps to create a workaround or temp solution until this might be fixed in a new OVA hopefully:

1. Shutdown the MM

2. Add a third HDD with the size matching your MM (in my case 64GB)

3. Boot the MM

4. The diskmanager saw the new disk on booting and partitioned it for 64GB (and it was visible a /dev/sdc1 after booting, no more /dev/sdb1!)

5. Shutdown the MM

6. Remove the second HDD (not the third!!, for some reason the second HDD doesn't get partitioned on the boot up)

7. Boot the MM

8. The diskmanager doesn't give you a warning anymore, yeah!

9. The show storage states a normal situation were the /flash is /dev/sdb1 and has the 64GB size in my case.

Hope this helps anyone running into this warning!.

• 2.  RE: Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

Posted Jun 05, 2019 02:18 AM

Thank you for this! You saved my day!

Did you by chance get from TAC wether this is a known issue with bug ID, or if there is going to be a fix from certain OS versions?

I am doing 8.2.2.5 install (wich is latest conservative release as per today) and you said you still get this error in 8.3. Do you know wether they fixed this in 8.4 or 8.5?

Best regards!

Daniel

• 3.  RE: Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2019 03:08 AM

Happy to help.

I didn't have more time yet to test it on 8.4/8.5.

• 4.  RE: Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2019 08:37 AM
      |   view attached

I will test thisthis morning on a fresh 8.4, but I have never experienced this, I just wait in the console for the migration to state it's complete, then delete the old disk. It's important to pay attention to the SCSI ID setting. See the attached for an older write up back in 8.2, 

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

Posted May 18, 2020 07:55 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say that this issue still persists with the OVA for 8.5.0.9.  I have tried 8.6 yet.  I didn't notice the warning but I have to go through this process to resize the flash for any new virtual MM (and I believe for the VMC as well)  that I have built. I've only deployed using the OVA on vCenter ESXi hosts so I don't know if similar steps are needed for Hyper-V or other deployments.

It would be helpful to have these steps added to the instructions.

• 6.  RE: Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2020 02:55 AM

Hi,

it is included in the Installing Virtual Appliance guide under the appendix

• 7.  RE: Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

Posted May 19, 2020 10:30 AM

I see it now that you pointed it out.  I had to locate the PDF version of 8.5.0.0 virtual appliance installation guide to more easily see it.  For some reason that guide is not showing for me on the legacy site without a Google search to locate it.  The ASP site only seems to have links to an online HTML version and it didn't occur to me to look at the Appendix there.

• 8.  RE: Warning after deploying a OVA/OVF MM-VA-5K

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2020 01:39 AM
    VMM/VMC does not support increasing size of an existing disk from the hypervisor. But it does support adding a larger size disk and data will be migrated to the new disk on boot. Please note that this is applicable only to the second disk (disk with the default size of 6GB on appliance deployment). Please also refer to the document attached by jhoward to this thread.

Reference:
    Increasing the Flash Size on a vSphere Hypervisor (arubanetworks.com)
    Increasing the Flash Size on a KVM Hypervisor (arubanetworks.com)

------------------------------
    Srini J
    ------------------------------