Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Weak aruba 515 wifi signal

Hello,

At my company we upgraded to aruba 515 AP. We got around 8 of them but recently noticed that signal is really weak or that device is locked to one AP instead of connecting to another one. I could have full bar signal and then move to cross the room and I would have one bar or don't even detect wifi at all. Difference is one slim wall and 5m from full bar wifi. If you need any kind of information let me know because right now I don't know what is usefull 

MVP Guru

Re: Weak aruba 515 wifi signal

Numerous factors can cause this, the first question would be what type of wall is this? RF is a line of sight technology. If something is obstructing this (such as a wall with a interior metal skeleton) then it will fail. 

What are the power settings configured for on each AP? What is the client device type?

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)
Occasional Contributor I

The wall is made out of plasterboard and that room is confress room with two exits, each side has AP near it. Devices are phones, laptops, raspberry and etc.

No idea how to check the power settings for each AP, maybe this picture will be useful

sDr4o98.png

FORGOT TO MENTION

Before this we had other brand AP and even less of them. No problem with the wifi

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Power levels look okay, tho why are you using wide-bands in 2.4GHz? What client types are these? Was a RF plan completed?

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)
Occasional Contributor I

I am not the who setuped this up so I can't answer you that question nor I know who could

New Contributor

any luck figuring this out? having a similar problem here.

Occasional Contributor I

Hi,

Nothing so far. I had issue with switching between multiple AP so I turned the fast roaming on but besides that nothing is fixed yet.

Aruba Employee

Which Software Version are you using?

Have you checked with tools like Ekahau if AP placement is optimal?

Comming from one vendor to another means often a replacement of APs. The different Antenna propagation could be one cause.

Which vendor and AP type did you used before?

MVP
MVP

Please use a tool like Ekahau to verify the RF spectrum. If you dont have a spectrum analyser you can download the free tool "WinFi Lite" from the Microsoft store.

Your image shows the 2.4GHz radio with channels '11-" etc. The "- and +'" seems like indicate that you probaly use 40Mhz bandwidth on the 2.4Ghz radio. Its strongly recommended to dont use 40mhz bandwidth on the 2.4GHz radio. Also note that the 2.4Ghz is "best effort" due to less available channels and lots of interfernce sources. Better use 5Ghz if you can.

First look with Ekahau (perfered) or with the free WinFi Lite toolto the next itemts:

• Client RSSI and SNR
  • Radio 2.4 or 5, IEEE 802.11##
  • Channel in use
  • CCI (Co Channel Interfernce)
  • Supported rates
Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Occasional Contributor I

Hello,

We hired a company that took all the measurements and planned optimal places for AP. I will try run that software and post results here later today

P.S We were using Ubiquite AP and it worked but it couldn't handle large user amount and we had less APs 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: