Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Weak aruba 515 wifi signal

Is the AP Powered at POE+ 802.3at? Ap's go into a restricted mode if powered by POE only.

Occasional Contributor I

Yes, all APs are on POE. How do I check if its on POE+ 802.3at?

MVP
MVP

When the system status led is solid green the AP is powered the right way with POE+ (802.11at). If its amber (solid or flashing) the AP run in restricted power mode on POE (802.11af). Look at your switch documentation if its POE+ capable.

Did you have some result of the WinFi tool?

Tip. When look in the Winfi Lite tool and want to see things like basis rates, you have to put it in "pro view" in the right uper corner.

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
New Contributor

Okay we have both led indicators solid green. What do you get for decibels when standing directly underneath an access point? 

Thanks

MVP
MVP

That depends on some factors such like EIRP tx power, antenna gain, antenna pattern, etc. Theoretically is the signal strength a few meters next to the access point better than directly below it becaus of the antenna pattern of the internal antennes.

All is based on design and needs, but roughly your will plan the following from client perspective in an office environment:

• Signal Strength (RSSI) of client between -60 and -65dBm
  • SNR of client between 30dBm and 25dBm

Whats ArubaOS firmware do you running?

HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Occasional Contributor I

LED with WiFi symbol is solid green. LED with power is flashling slowly green. I though I could run WinFi on windows 8.1 so I will do that on another laptop

P.S OthersAPs power light is blinking but slowly

MVP
MVP

Hi Lukas,

If the system status LED is flashing green, that means that it is not 1000Mbit negotiate. Probaly because the switch is a 100Mbit interface, speed negotiate, or a cable fault. Because an AP-515 can deliver much higher speeds to the clients its recommended to connect to an 1Gbps switch interface at least.

The Led statuses are documented in the installation guide.

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=35506

Occasional Contributor I

I don't think the issue is with the speed.

If I am next to the AP I will be getting ~-50dBm but for example I could go to another room and it would be around -83dBm. Wall is made of plasterboard

Hnm293t.png

Added pictures from WinFi Lite:

2.4.PNG2.4 Ghz5.PNG5 Ghz

Highlighted
MVP
MVP

• On 2.4GHz your channel utilization seem a bit high.
  • On 5GHz never use 80MHz in a multi-AP / Enterprise environment.
  • Channel 116 on 80Mhz is also in range of the TDWR weather radar (120-128), avoid this because it can block  the AP to transmit for 30 minutes if it seens a radar event (or false positive event).
  • Did you do a accurate wall attenuation measurment, to known the exact attenuation of the wall? link
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: