Wireless Access

Highlighted
New Contributor

What Controller is Compatible (AP103 & AP305)

Onan auction I bought a AP103 and an AP305, a brief google search told me you the AP's had two modes IAP and AP and you could switch. (however it was never mentioned this was not . a AP->IAP conversion)

Originally I wanted to plug the AP305 in the switch at GigE speed and 'link' to the AP103 to get wireless in a current 'bad coverage spot'.

As I understand the contoller thing, you basically connect the AP's to the controller and the controller to the GigE switch?

Anyways. I would like to te get the two AP's working and give the users (my family) a good connection, but not a fortune on a controller. So what are my options now?

-- hardware controller ? (guess the 7005 is the appropiate option)

-- software controller?  (is this available, I read about ArbubaOS and VM's but it unclear to me if that would solve the issue?)

-- EOL Aruba controller (can be had for cheap, but will they provide the GigE access (620 is $80) with only 1 GigE port and support for ancient wifi protocols. 

-- other options?

Any pointers would be welcome!

Guru Elite

Re: What Controller is Compatible (AP103 & AP305)

7005 is your best bet.  You would not need a VM.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP
MVP

Re: What Controller is Compatible (AP103 & AP305)

Hi uSuRA,

The AP support is based on the ArubaOS releases, you can find the minimum OS version in the datasheets.

AP-103

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP103Series.pdf

Minumum version ArubaOS 6.4.0.0

AP-305

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP300Series.pdf

Minumum version ArubaOS 6.5.0.1 / 8.1.0.0

ArubaOS 6 is diffrent of ArubaOS 8, with AOS8 you have the oppertunity to install a mobility controller on a hypervisorplatform (esxi or hyperv).

Please note that older controllers like the Aruba 3200XM can only run on ArubaOS 6.4.4.x and cant be used for your AP-305.

Yes AP cant convert to IAP, so you need a controller to operate them. The smalles controller for your AP-305 is an Aruba 7000 series controller (or virtualmachine but that isnt nessesary). And dont forget you need an AP licence per AP ;) some controller come with some factory intergrated licence but iam not sure which models that are exactly, you could probarly check that in the quickspecs.

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: