Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 16, 2013 04:51 PM

[Image Removed per Community Guidelines]

Let see how does ruckus does in security?

1-Aruba offers an integrated role based access control for wireless and wired users, what does ruckus does?

As far i know Ruckus maps user groups to a WLAN, which is then mapped to a VLAN
    and Policies are defined and enforced by external 3rd party devices

2-Aruba has integrated WIDS WIPS into the infrastructure, while as far i know ruckus does basic rogue detection. Ruckus does not automatically black list client, while Aruba does, ruckus needs manual intervention i think

3-Rukus does not offer VPN functionality as far i know

4-Aruba offer an stateful firewall for network security and QOS, as far i know ruckus need third party device for access control

5-Aruba provide per application QOS while ruckus offer per SSID Qos we don't need more SSIDs like a vlan for voice, like i mention having more SSID does impact in the throughput of your WLAN... Because of the management overhead.

6-Aruba do derived roles in one SSID like a mention i can make rules depending on which group of AD you are i can give different access to Sales OU, or IT OU and so on

Now let's talk about the redundancy

Aruba does offer L3 and L2 redundancy, L2 using VRRP and L3 using LMS and backup LMS

• Ruckus does not offer L3 redundancy as far i know.... Which is handy when you got 2 controllers separated by a layer 3 boundary (which you get several scenarios like that)
    • Ruckus APS when they are failing over to the secondary controller as far i know the AP needs to reboot, on Aruba aps does not need to reboot or anything they automatically fail over to the secondary one at least on the layer 2 redundancy.
    • Ruckus does not have vlan pooling as far i know... i can have on one SSID with 5 vlans mapped to it.. Which will reduce the number of user per vlans which doing so restricts the size of the broadcast domain, thereby limiting unnecessary traffic?
    • Not to mention Aruba is on the leader Quadrant on Gardner on wireless only which was on 2011 and wired and wireless on 2012. While ruckus is still on Visionary quadrant....

And more... (That they don't have)

• No Spectrum analysis functionality

• No Integrated stateful firewall, role based access control, client blacklisting or VPN functionality

• No advanced WIPS functionality

• No application awareness (this is important, as i can know if you are using an app that is using voice it will give it priority)we don't need another vlan for voice... Which is a waste of another SSID
    • No multivendor wired/wireless management solution. No integrated RF planning.

This info was brought to you by - NightShade1 | edited and gathered by - kdisc98

• 2.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 06:07 PM

LMAO you copy and pasted what i wrote on Spicyworks community... hahahaha

Give me some credit at least ;)

That was part of an analysis i had to do for a client that was going Aruba or Rukus(which i extracted from many documents, and rukus forum).  And well i wrote part of it on that community because people were like worshiping Rukus :/  and telling aruba wasnt any good

• 3.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 01:29 AM

*U been credited on the info* :smileyhappy:
    *I gave myself credit about the anti ruckus logo design and the show of relevant the info *

• 4.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 02:07 AM

Thats much better

Thank you very much ;P

I give you credit for the anti rukus design ;P

We have to kick Rukus and cisco out of the market hehe

• 5.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 02:12 AM

Cant agree with you more :smileytongue:
    [Edited per Guidelines: Keep It Courteous]

have a lovely weekend

• 6.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 07:13 AM
    Thank you all.
    This is great compare I'm looking for.

Jaroslav

• 7.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 10:03 PM

Trivia question:

What Wi-Fi company provides the most secure Wi-Fi? 

a) Linksys

b) Cisco

c) Ruckus

d) Aruba

First one to answer correctly gets a Ruckus AP sent to their door. 

GT

• 8.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 10:50 PM

Hello GT Hill

Arent you the Technical marketing director of Rukus?

Anyways what is even linksys doing in your list? hah guess that was a joke...

Thats something i posted somwhere else you can always correct me if i was wrong in something that i said.

Anyways now you here i always wondered why you were putting aruba at the last one on fault tolerance on your post in CWNP?

The asnwer is Aruba

Ah yeah good videos of airtime fairness and  band steering on youtube

Cheers

Carlos

• 9.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 11:15 PM

Yep... That's me! :)

I don't remember about that post about Aruba's fault tolerance... I expect that was quite some time ago. I will admit that I may have been wrong (it's happened before) but I'd need to look again to see the context of the thread and see what Aruba was doing at the time. 

I'm not going to come into an Aruba thread and bash them... Aruba does a great job at many things. However, I did want to dispel a myth. 

Here is the answer to my own question... all of the above or none of the above. All Wi-Fi security is equal. All prosumer and enterprise products can do all major versions of 802.1X/EAP and PSK. Wi-Fi security has been equally strong since 802.11i. Because it is standardized even if Aruba or Ruckus wanted to make it better we couldn't because clients wouldn't support it. 

Now being perfectly objective Aruba does do some great things on the wired side and with WIDS / WIPS. 

All of us (major vendors) have limited resources so we have to put our money where our core focus is. Aruba has always been about wired/wireless security integration and they've done a good job. 

Ruckus puts our money into improving Wi-Fi performance and I think we've shown to be dominant in that respect. Different customers value different things which is why Ruckus and Aruba can share in the quest to kick Cisco's arse. :)

GT

• 10.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 11:34 PM

hah okay

Like i said good videos on youtube, keep uploading more  for gereral non  vendor specific explainaiton stuff if you know what i mean.

It supposed that WIPs WIDS  the winner of that is airtight  Never used their product but thats what gardner says....

Yeah i guess every vendor got his good side.... if we start being objective like you saidd.

Anyway sorry if i kill some rukus oporutnity in my coutnry but hey my company does sell aruba not rukus, cisco, aerohive etc etc :)

And yes that post was like 2 years ago i think

Cheers

Carlos

• 11.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 11:56 PM

Thanks for the compliments on the videos. I'll do my best to keep them coming. 

Good luck to you!

GT

• 12.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 22, 2013 02:29 AM

Great info man....

• 13.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 24, 2013 01:30 AM

Kdisc & Nightshade1  very valuable information. can you please provide the same data with cisco as well??

• 14.  RE: What Ruckus wireless don't have? Aruba Networks-What we do Have.*GOOD PRE-SALE INFO* for AirHeads.

Posted Feb 24, 2013 01:33 AM

I can... i have done also cisco vs aruba presentations on clients, with documents and forum information... the thing is that i don tknow if it allowed to start putting that kind of thing here....

If a moderator aprove it willl post it.