Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What type of Access Point to use and how to configure it for

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  What type of Access Point to use and how to configure it for

Posted Jan 07, 2019 02:47 PM

We have a conference room at our building that is in a corner section where there are a  lot of users with several devices connected.

This area has the most wireless clients (2 x APs that have 25 clients or more each).  Then this conference room is confined to a corner tha thas 4 waslls around it and 1 small doorway.  Hence, when users go into the conference room a lot of them consistantly need to disconnect and re-connect to get a good siganl.  But since the area has a lot of interferance (bluetooth and cell phones) teh reception is bad and sometimes the users in that room attempte to connect the strongest signal which is fartehr away and as a result the wiresless connections are consistantly not good at all.  

I think the oly way to fix the situation is to have a small access point for tht specific room and to configure it so the AP's range does not bleed out of that room (if we can help it).

I remember at a previous employer, I worked at a convention cetner and free (slow internet) was offered in the main lobby; but, the AP's were configured with 'their power to be low' so the wireless connections do not bleed into the conference rooms.  I know that it worked because people compained that they could not get free internet inside the convention conference rooms.

What type of Aruba Access Point can we get to work with 7030 controllers and that will only provide wireless for a 15 foot wide by 30 foot log by 15 boot tall room?  And how cna we configure it to not belloed too much out of that conference room?

• 2.  RE: What type of Access Point to use and how to configure it for

MVP
    Posted Jan 09, 2019 11:06 PM

I think it is best to work with your local Aruba Rep because other than looking for products (which any 2XX and 3XX APs would do the job assuming the AOS version on the controller supports them) it sounds like there may be some things to adjust on your current configuration to help with roaming of devices and appropriate overlapping coverage.

Quick answer is almost any AP would do the job, but it will depend on if it's supported via firmware on the controller, you should be pretty safe with a 2XX series AP, but if you can go with a 3XX series.

• 3.  RE: What type of Access Point to use and how to configure it for

Posted Jan 10, 2019 11:57 PM

The trick is that I am looking for something as inexpensive as possible.

Something that is not design for a lot of users connecting all day.  Or something that will allow us to tweak the settings os the coverage is in a short area.

• 4.  RE: What type of Access Point to use and how to configure it for

MVP
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 05:41 AM
    I've had experience with the 303H that may meet your needs. That gets
    mounted over the face plate of the wall jack.

Other than that, x05 or x15 would also do the trick.

All Aruba APs are capable of handling more clients then your looking for,
    but the bulkier models x25/x35 are designed for heavier load compared to
    the x15 and x05 series.

You can configure the radio settings using AP specific to minimize radio
    range, but the 303H in my experience doesn't carry very far outside of it's
    own room.