Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

When is a measurement a problem?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  When is a measurement a problem?

Posted Jul 17, 2013 10:46 AM

I'm working with my local Aruba guys on this as well.  Using 6.2.1.2 on 72xx or M3.  4 of our sites have over 3000 users/devices each day (in a 2 or 3 story building) with 200+ APs per site.

The dashboard has amazing information.  What I don't know is when each of the different measurements indicates a possible problem.  It helps when they change colors but what are the general numbers I'm looking at (especially in a very high density environment)?  Some of the numbers I have been watching:

Channel busy

dropped frames

retried frames

I am aware of the some of the other measurements and when to be concerned but those above I'm not sure about.  Do they change colors when they indicate a possible problem?  Any documents Aruba have which might shed light?  (they exist but will Aruba release them??)  :)

• 2.  RE: When is a measurement a problem?

Posted Jul 17, 2013 11:06 AM

Channel busy : You don't want to see more then constant 65% utilitzation , this could happen because interference either 802.11 or non-802.11 , a lot of L2 retries  , a lot of devices transmitting at very lower rates

Retries/dropped : having a lot of retries is not good , it could be that the device needs a driver update , unhealthy RF environment (interference,   near far issues , etc..) , low signal , roaming issues

You should read this :

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_61/ArubaOS_61_UG/Dashboard_Monitoring.php

http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/tkb@tkb/81/3/2012%20AH%20APJ%20-%20RF%20Troubleshooting.pdf