Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

Posted Aug 21, 2015 12:33 AM

Hi,

I was checking at the desing guide, and I can see that when I have Master-Local controller model, I can use VRRP to be able to redirect the APs to the active controler when in the same layer 2 network. Do I need only to tell the Local controller the role, add the Master IP, and configure VRRP, and then Check the locals controllers on the master and then configure the VRRP. Steps are not complete clear on the configuration guide:

l Configure the interface on the master controller to be a trunk port with 1, 2… n being member VLANs.
    l Collect the following data before configuring master controller redundancy.
    l VLAN IDs on the controllers corresponding to the VLANs 1, 2…n shown in the topology above.
    l Virtual IP addresses that has been reserved to be used for the VRRP instances.
    l You can use either the WebUI or CLI to configure VRRP on the master controllers (seeTable 106 ). For this
    topology, the following are recommended values:
    l For priority: Set the local to 110; set the master to 100 (the default value)
    l Enable preemption

I know that LMS IP needs to be set up for each AP with the Virtual IP fo VRRP.

Can I have a CLI example of this configuration?

How should be the procedure when local controller is in another subnet?

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2015 12:36 AM

Since this is a new deployment, I would consider using High Availability: AP Fast Failover instead of the older-style VRRP method.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvOverView.htm

• 3.  RE: Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

Posted Aug 21, 2015 12:44 AM

I already have a controller in place fully operational. I want to extend campus using Local controllers, in that way I thought that was less disruptive to use VRRP, but, I'm not sure if all the configuration steps were complete in the previous list. Also I would like to try to use some local controllers across Layer 3 networks, but so far I haven't found a clear information about this configuration. I have review some design guides, but I'm feeling that I don't have the full picture yet. Is there any cli or web-gui full configuration example?

• 4.  RE: Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2015 12:48 AM
    HA is not disruptive.

The user-guide provides all commands necessary for both HA and VRRP.

• 5.  RE: Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

Posted Aug 21, 2015 08:12 AM

I fully reviewed the VRRP configuration, and I think it is clear. For HA configuration, my Master controller should have the Standby role inthe HA group profile?, in order fot the Local controller to be the active controller for all APs, and then failover when there is a Local controller failure?

• 6.  RE: Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2015 08:15 AM
    You can put both controllers into DUAL mode and then specify the local controller as the LMS-IP in the ap system profile.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 7.  RE: Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

Posted Aug 21, 2015 08:37 AM

I have the Master controller under operation, with some customers, I think that configuring this HA group will not affect my actual configuration, just for the APs that I need to configure to change the LMS-IP, is that correct?

on the other hand, I will need first to change the role of the Local controller to local, then reboot it, and define the Master IP. After that in the Master map the local controller, and then start with the HA group config. am I going into the right direction?

Thanks a lot!

• 8.  RE: Which are the detailed configurations when using Master-Local model?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2015 08:48 AM
    Yes, you just have to assign HA roles to the controller and then assign the
    local as the LMS-IP.