Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wifi for Distribution Center

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wifi for Distribution Center

Posted Feb 15, 2016 07:47 PM

Hi,

I am working in a project that I need wireless cover in a distribution center.
    It is a place where I have some aisles and I need full cover in each one of them.
    I am going to use some IAPs 115 + AP-ANT-28 antena, because I will direct the signal to each aisle to guarantee this coverage.

Some questions:

Are there some others things that I need to consider?
    Do I need extra power supply for the external antena?
    Does anyone have some consideration for this scenario?

Thank you in advance.

Leandro Surcin

• 2.  RE: Wifi for Distribution Center

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2016 09:09 PM

The IAP-115  has built-in downtilt omnidirectional antennas that allow you to mount them at up to 35 feet and still obtain ground coverage.   The IAP-114 is the version that requires external antennas, by the way.  You could order a couple IAP-115s and survey to see what the coverage is if you mount them every second or third aisle.  Examine how the signal looks on your clients at 50 feet and 100 feet to see if it is doable.  Since a typical distribution center is coverage, instead of capacity, the RF from the IAP-115 in open space could easily go 100 feet depending on the clients you need to service.  Traditionally you would have an external antenna AP for distribution centers because typical omnidirectional APs cannot give you ground coverage at 30 feet.  Downtilt omnidirectional antennas can do this without you have to stock and mount additional external antenna parts, which could add up...

Take a look at Chuck L's warehouse presentation here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/tkb@tkb/92/1/Airheads%20Barcelona%202010%20-%20RF%20Design%20for%20Retail%20Warehousing%20Manufacturing.pdf

If you do have an external antenna, it would not require an external power supply, no...