Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wifi range

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Wifi range

Posted Feb 01, 2017 09:36 AM

Hello

We have a client which has many ap 205 in their building.  Their building is full of windows so the signal is seen in the parking lot for example.

They are asking me if there is a way that the users cannot connect to this ssid on the parking lot wihtout hidding the SSID.

They would like that for example after -75 dbm they ssid is not shown...i told them thats not possible. 

Any has any good idea regarding this? something that we can do to achive something similar?

They do not want that people in the partking lot can connect to the SSID even if they see it,

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Wifi range

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2017 10:20 AM

I would try the local probe request threshold parameter in the SSID profile:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6.4.4.x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VirtualAPs/SSID_Profiles.htm?Highlight=local probe request

• 3.  RE: Wifi range

Posted Feb 01, 2017 10:33 AM

Hello Collin

So if a user which is far and see the signal for example in -70dbm he wont be able to connect even if he try and click connect to this network???

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Wifi range

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2017 10:48 AM

That parameter says that the AP won't allow connections if the AP sees a client below a certain threshold.  It is how strong the AP sees the client that determines if the client can connect.

• 5.  RE: Wifi range

Posted Feb 01, 2017 01:38 PM

do you need to hide the ssid  to make it work?

Do i need to disable client match?

What would be the recommended value for my sitiation here?