Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Win8 - Network Connectivity Issues with Fast Boot Enabled

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Win8 - Network Connectivity Issues with Fast Boot Enabled

Posted May 02, 2013 10:53 AM

We have a Win8 test laptop that consistently loses network access on our 802.1X SSID.  We enforce machine auth on the SSID and I suspect that may be part of the problem.  Any time I check the users connection after reporting that they've lost network access, they're in the user role and there aren't any cached machine credentials.  Fast Boot is enabled on this machine and anytime the user shuts down the laptop and boots up (this is when Fast Boot kicks in) 24 hours after his previous machine authentication, he seems to have connectivity issues.  My assumption is that with Fast Boot, machine authentication does not occur.  Just like it would not occur if you hibernate/resume Win7.  Can anyone confirm?

• 2.  RE: Win8 - Network Connectivity Issues with Fast Boot Enabled

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2013 01:19 PM

What is your enforce machine authentication cache time in your 802.1x profile?  If it is 24 hours, you are getting expected behavior and you need to extend it.

• 3.  RE: Win8 - Network Connectivity Issues with Fast Boot Enabled

Posted May 02, 2013 01:42 PM

It's 24 hours.  I just wanted to verify that this is the result of fast boot not doing a machine auth.  I'll have to let them know to disable this feature in Win 8 since that's the case.

• 4.  RE: Win8 - Network Connectivity Issues with Fast Boot Enabled

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2013 01:43 PM

Well,

You should be able to see it in the radius server if it does a machine auth or not during boot, right?

• 5.  RE: Win8 - Network Connectivity Issues with Fast Boot Enabled

Posted May 02, 2013 01:48 PM

I should be able to, yes.  I just haven't done that yet since going through the NPS logs is painful.

• 6.  RE: Win8 - Network Connectivity Issues with Fast Boot Enabled

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2013 01:49 PM

Are you using Custom Logs/NPS?

• 7.  RE: Win8 - Network Connectivity Issues with Fast Boot Enabled

Posted May 02, 2013 02:02 PM

Ahhh I found the logs.  I was using Event Viewer before which blows.  Searched the logs for the machine name and I can see the authentications that occured after the user logged off/on.  I don't see anything logged before that though when he did a fast boot.