Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows 7: Authentication Error and Validate server certificate

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Windows 7: Authentication Error and Validate server certificate

Posted May 24, 2014 01:07 PM

I'm an end user with a RAP5-WN device.

Occasionally when I try to connect to my work network via the wired port on my RAP5, Windows network fails to connect giving me an "Authentication Error".  If I disable the Validate server certificate under LAN properties > authentication (see attachment), it connects fine.

Is this a simple solution?  My network admin doesn't know why this happens or why this solution works.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Windows 7: Authentication Error and Validate server certificate
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2014 01:33 PM

That is because your Windows 7 computer does not trust the CA of the Radius Server's certificate.  You need to ensure that the Radius Server's certificate is in the trusted store of the computer.  You could also need the whole certificate chain trusted, depending on the CA.

• 3.  RE: Windows 7: Authentication Error and Validate server certificate

Posted May 24, 2014 10:45 PM

Is this a problem that has to be resolved on the server side or client side or both?  Sorry if that seems ignorant.  Trying to provide my network guys with as much info as I can.

• 4.  RE: Windows 7: Authentication Error and Validate server certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2014 10:50 PM

It has to be resolved on the client side.  You should search for "how to install a trusted root authority in windows" in google and filter on your operating system for instructions on how to do that.

• 5.  RE: Windows 7: Authentication Error and Validate server certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2014 11:01 PM
    the question is who issued the server certificate for your radius server? The CA that issued that certificate...its certificate needs to be in your client's store.