Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

Posted Jun 19, 2014 01:11 PM

Just got a widows box with 8.1 to test. I discovered the absence of the wireless profiler manager. I thought it was just me. I deleted the NIC and let the box auto discover the NIC. Still no go. I update the driver. Still a no go. I downgrade the driver. Still no wireless profiler manager.

Google it and I was taken back on what I found. What is Microsoft doing ??

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

“Some tasks, such as deleting a profile, must be done at the command prompt. To do these tasks, open Command Prompt, and then type the appropriate command from the following table.”

What are these guys thinking ?

• 2.  RE: Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2014 01:12 PM
    It's been gone since 8.0 . You can configure the EAP settings for the network you are currently connected to.

• 3.  RE: Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

Posted Jun 19, 2014 01:18 PM

You know what you're right. The Win 8 test box I have has Intel Supplciant installed and the profile manager is there. I delete the Intel Supplicant and the wireless profile manger on windows is gone. This is just crappy ... 

• 4.  RE: Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2014 01:20 PM
    It's definitely not ideal and I hope it returns, but as far as I've seen, it hasn't been a huge issue.

• 5.  RE: Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

Posted Jun 19, 2014 02:28 PM

Option 1:  CLI (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles)

Option 2:  WiFi Profile Manager (http://download.cnet.com/WiFi-Profile-Manager/3000-18508_4-75761738.html).   Displays all profiles; allows export to XML (where you can edit it) and import from XML.

• 6.  RE: Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

Posted Jun 19, 2014 01:51 PM

Technically it still applies profiles. If you use the netsh wlan show profiles command at command prompt you'll see the profiles that are loaded. You may be able to use the netsh wlan add command to create a new profile but I'ven ever tried it as I've only used this tool to ensure a wireless profile loaded via group policy.

• 7.  RE: Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

Posted Jun 19, 2014 01:56 PM

I think its a step backward. Almost no end user will know to navigate the netsh commands to manage their profiles. While we deploy our policy via GPO users still have the ability to manage other non corp networks, like their home wifi. 

• 8.  RE: Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

Posted Jun 19, 2014 02:06 PM

I absolutely agree; there's no reason to have removed the GUI component. I just figured I'd chime in and give anyone who needs to know how to access them the information I had.

• 9.  RE: Windows 8.1 -- no more wireless profiler manager ?

Posted Jun 19, 2014 02:09 PM

No no, please do .. I play on the Mac side and get dumped boxes to test from time to time and this floored me. I guess Im a  little late to the game! lol