Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

Posted Oct 11, 2012 04:30 PM

Just a quick check with other customers whether you've seen this anomoly. We have seen several devices (all windows phones) that show up in the user-table as the default-gateway IP address. Of course, this adversely affects service for users within that affected subnet.

We have since updated our "validuser" ACL to account for this, but I'm mainly concerned why we were seeing this in the first place and moreso what these windows phones are doing.

(Yes, we have a case opened.)

Anyone else seeing this?

• 2.  RE: Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2012 03:34 PM

Hey Ryan,

Ever get anything more on this or find a root cause?

• 3.  RE: Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

Posted Dec 17, 2012 03:57 PM

We experienced this issue and in order to fix it we have implement "enforce-dhcp" under the aaa profile and after we haven't seen it again.

Another solution would be to add and deny all the IP gateways to the valid user table.

• 4.  RE: Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

Posted Dec 17, 2012 04:01 PM

That's what we did: deny the gateways using a "static-addresses" alias within the validuser policy. "enforce-dhcp" didn't make me feel comfortable, as I could envision some devices not sending a DHCP Request when roaming to an adjacent controller and simply trying to use their last known IP address. I wouldn't want to cause more issues by enabling this feature.

But no, we still don't know/understand why these Windows Phones are doing this, but honestly, I've stopped looking into it since Aruba offers no mechanism to catch what is happening reliably without capturing/logging ALL traffic into the controller.

• 5.  RE: Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

Posted Dec 17, 2012 04:05 PM

In our case the user never brought the phone so we can troubleshoot .

Something strange that we noticed was that at some point the device was being classified as a OSX device (controller side)

• 6.  RE: Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2012 04:10 PM

Thanks, yeah I was looking for a root cause to help decide which of the two ways to direct another customer.  Looks like new aliases and updates to the 'valisuser' acl are the safe, albeit more labor intensive, option we have to go with then.

Thanks for the quick replies!