Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wired AppleTV AP multicast aggregation Associate to ap-group

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Wired AppleTV AP multicast aggregation Associate to ap-group

Posted Dec 09, 2016 12:17 PM

Is there a way to make AppleTVs collected off the wire via AP multicast aggregation to associate to an ap-group for airgroup?

I can see multiple locations AppleTVs if they are wired, but if they connect AppleTVs wirelessly they are only visible by the ap-group.

Is it possible to make AppleTVs that are wired associate to an ap-group?

I am using 6.5.0.3 and if needed for this configuration, we have clearpass.

• 2.  RE: Wired AppleTV AP multicast aggregation Associate to ap-group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2016 02:39 PM

Under Configuration> Advanced Services> Airgroup> Policy, you need to enter the wired mac address of that AppleTV and then under "Associate Server With" you need to enter either the ap-name, or ap-group.  Anyone associated to that ap-name or ap-group will be able to see that wired AppleTV device.  Click on Neighborhood if you want other users on other APS neighboring that AP to also be able to see that AppleTV (you are not always associated to the AP directly in the room).  This is all available without using ClearPass, btw.

Screenshot 2016-12-09 at 13.32.43.png

The direct answer to your question is, that you can trunk the wired VLAN with those AppleTVs to the controller and it will advertise to everyone, or you can manually enter the mac address and it will constrain it to only users who are associated to that AP, ap-group, or neighboring that ap and ap-group.

I hope that even helps...

• 3.  RE: Wired AppleTV AP multicast aggregation Associate to ap-group

Posted Dec 13, 2016 01:04 PM

So if I understand correctly, we need to manually add wired AppleTVs to an AP group as you described?

There is no method to automatically do this? Is clearpass able to do it?

We have 58 locations, each location easily has 50-100 AppleTVs that would be wired. You can see why this may be an issue.

We don't mind if the whole location can see the AppleTV (Defined by AP-group for us) but we don't want ALL AppleTVs visible at all locations.

• 4.  RE: Wired AppleTV AP multicast aggregation Associate to ap-group
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2016 01:49 PM

You can very much do this in ClearPass.  The method I described is if you had only a few Apple TVs that you wanted to do it with only the controller.

- Please see the Airgroup Configuration with the Aruba Controller and ClearPass here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/TechNote-v1-3-AirGroup-Configuration-with-ClearPass-6-0-1/ta-p/70720

- Please see the Airgroup Technology Guide to see how it would all work here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/Aruba-AirGroup-Technology-Solution-Guide/ta-p/41030

- A video of how it would work is also here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Airheads-Breakouts/Bala-Krishnamurthy-Demonstrates-ClearPass-AirGroup/ta-p/247174

• 5.  RE: Wired AppleTV AP multicast aggregation Associate to ap-group

Posted Feb 21, 2020 10:28 AM
      |   view attached

I went through the user guide of 8.x and found auto-association is applicable only for wireless AirGroup servers but not for wired Airgroup servers. Please correct me, if I am wrong. I am working on a similar deployment and found that after sometime iPhone device is able to discover wired Apple TV associated with other ap-group.

In our setup, we don't use ClearPass and the controller is in standalone topology.

• 6.  RE: Wired AppleTV AP multicast aggregation Associate to ap-group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2020 04:42 AM

This post is from 4 years ago.  Please open a new thread.