Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wired user tracking/reporting

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Wired user tracking/reporting

Posted Jul 03, 2013 10:08 AM
    Hi all,

I Am planning on adding in my switches and routers into Airwave to assist in rogue detection. Some of the team is curious if Airwave can be used to track and report on wired clients as they move throughout the network. I haven't found any clear documentation on this.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Wired user tracking/reporting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2013 05:38 PM

AirWave gets wired user tracking from mostly Aruba devices.  Some instances where we would get both client and usage data:

1. Ports need to be untrusted (this is how we catch the user auth)

2. From a switch that terminates to a controller

If the desire is to see more of the wired information, you can also express the same in a feature request via the ideas portal.

• 3.  RE: Wired user tracking/reporting

Posted Jul 05, 2013 05:16 PM
    Mainly what were looking to do is track MAC address to switch ports. Thought this might be possible with Airwave since it's polling cam and arp tables.

• 4.  RE: Wired user tracking/reporting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2013 12:18 PM

It may be possible in the future.  At this time it's a feature request to ask of in the ideas portal on the support site.  AirWave currently uses data polled from the bridge forwarding and ARP tables for upstream/downstream device correlation, neighboring device correlation, and some additional rogue information.  Also, these tables are polled less often (since the response payloads can be large) and may not capture the client movements you're looking to track - polling more aggresively may incur more network traffic than desired (or allowed by certain switches due to request caps).