Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Access Options

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wireless Access Options

Posted Apr 04, 2018 10:30 AM

Hello All,

I'm researching the best approach to configure wireless access to a "private" lab. The private lab is only on a single floor of a single building and only on a single switch stack. I trying to give them wirless access to there private lab with our existing wireless infrastructure. I know there are different options to acheive this such as Instant AP and different forwarding modes. If I didnt want to go the Instant AP route, which foward mode would be the best way to acheive this goal (Bridge / Split Tunnel).

I'm looking to create a new SSID and have just the one of the muliple SSIDs local switched to the switch port the AP is connected. I have attached a diagram to illustrate my goal. In the example below, SSID Public is tunneled back to WLC while SSID Private is local switch / offloaded /Bridged to the switch. Bridge_Approach.png

Would the best appraoch be bridge mode? From my readings, the bridge scenerio is from a single SSID that has "corp" traffic going back to the WLC and local traffic being bridged.  My in case, I want a single SSID to be "bridged" while other SSID remain tunneled.

Sorry for the inter change in terms as I'm new to the aruba world.

Thanks!

Kanan

• 2.  RE: Wireless Access Options
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2018 12:11 PM

Bridge mode is typically not recommended, but in this case may be your best option. It should be possible as long as you have CPSec currently enabled on your controller/APs. 

Depending on the switch make/model, you possibly could also tunnel the lab VLAN to the WLC so that it can place users directly in that VLAN. Tagging the VLAN and building a connection from the WLC to that VLAN on the lab switch would be the most preferred option.

• 3.  RE: Wireless Access Options

Posted Apr 04, 2018 02:33 PM

Thank you for the response. These are not the aruba switches so we are not able to take advantage of that feature :(.

Thank you!